Information Studies


Frequently Asked Questions

Suggestions for this page are welcome. Please Email k.michaels@ucl.ac.uk

Related Sources of Information

Who's Who


  • What is the procedure for handing in coursework? See Section 8.3 of the DIS Student Handbook.
  • How long does it take to mark coursework? It depends on the nature of the coursework and the size of the class! But all coursework should have an explicitly stated expected return date, as well as a submission deadline. If a particular piece of coursework doesn't include an expected return date, you should point this out (or ask your class rep to point this out) to the lecturer concerned.
  • Why does it take so long? We mark your work carefully and try to provide you with detailed feedback. This means that each piece of work typically takes up to an hour to mark. This must them of course be multiplied by the size of the group whose work is being marked. All work is then moderated. Members of staff also have other work to do during the marking period, and thus we cannot promise to return work to you any more quickly.
  • Why do so many coursework deadlines come at once? So that you can more easily bear in mind when you ought to be handing work in. It's simper to have most deadlines either at the end of a term of the beginning of the next one. We have tried staggering the deadlines, and people found this confusing. To deal with deadlines falling on the same day you need to plan your work carefully. You are welcome to hand in assignments for some modules early if this helps you with your work schedule.

Academic issues

  • What should I do if I am worried about my progress? Talk to your module tutor, if the problem is specific to one area, or, if it's more general, contact your programme director.
  • What should I do if there are any problems with the way a module is being taught? Ideally, talk to the module tutor in the first instance. If you don't feel comfortable about raising issues with the module tutor, talk to your programme director. If you'd rather not do this directly, contact your student reps and ask them to raise the issues with the module tutor, programme director or in the appropriate departmental committee. Please do this as soon as possible, so that we can do our best to improve things
  • What are SEQ's for? SEQs are the questionnaires that you are asked to complete about each module at the end of the relevant term. They help you to reflect what you have learned, what you have enjoyed and how you might improve. They also help us pick up any problems or concerns that students may have in order to improve things for the future. The results are collated and fed back to module tutors and programme directors, who then write summary comments for the Teaching Committee. This therefore informs the way that we teach the module the following year. But if problems are urgent it's important not to rely on the SEQs to communicate them, but instead to discuss them as soon as possible with your module tutor, programme director or student reps.
  • What should I do there are not enough copies of a book in the library? Firstly you should try reserving the book. You can ask your module tutor or programme director to ask the library to buy more copies or for copies to be put on short loan. If this is a common problem you should tell your programme director and/or ask your reps to raise it at the library committee.
  • How do I borrow previous dissertations for reference? Please visit this page for full information: Borrowing previous dissertations
  • How do I keep in touch, after graduating from UCL? After you complete your programme, we appreciate knowing the job that you have taken, using our job details form

Buildings, Rooms and Offices

  • How do I report maintenance problems?

    Typical problems with teaching rooms and lecture theatres include:

    • rooms being too hot,
    • rooms being too cold, and
    • broken or inadequate furniture, fixtures and fittings.

Problems of this nature should be reported straight away by the lecturer or the student representatives to one of the following DIS administrators (who are authorised to initiate a UCL maintenance request that can subsequently be tracked and monitored): Kerstin Michaels (k.michaels@ucl.ac.uk), Ian Evans (ian.evan@ucl.ac.uk), Laura Keshav (l.keshav@ucl.ac.uk), or Malvia Plante (malvia.plante@ucl.ac.uk). For emergency maintenance you can additionally ring exention 30000 (the external number is 020 7679 0000). If, in spite of repeated reporting through these channels, the problems persist, this should be reported to the Departmental Administrator (k.michaels@ucl.ac.uk) and/or the Departmental Tutor (rsm@ucl.ac.uk), and/or your programme director.

  • Issues of Safety
    If any student or member of staff feels that a problem with a room constitutes a safety hazzard, then in addition to following the procedure above, the problem should immediately be reported to UCL Safety Services (020 7679 8855, or email a.boulton@ucl.ac.uk), and to the Departmental Safety Officer, Andy Dawson (andrew.dawson@ucl.ac.uk).

    Double-booking and Room Size Problems

    If a room appears to have been double-booked, the lecturer should contact UCL Room Bookings, with a copies of any emails to the Departmental Administrator (k.michaels@ucl.ac.uk). If a room is too small or inappropriate for the class, this should be reported directly to the Departmental Administrator (k.michaels@ucl.ac.uk) who will attempt to negotiate a better or more appropriate venue.

Health and Safety