- A Language in Search of Its Author: The Early Modern Beginnings of Modern Hebrew
- BOOK LAUNCH: Sport and British Jewry, 1890-1970
- Simon Wiesenthal Memorial Lecture - Perpetrators, Collaborators, Resisters, Bystanders: The Shoah in Greater Bulgaria, 1943
- We Are Here: Memories of the Lithuanian Holocaust
- Identity through Difference: Rabbinic Judaism and Christian Narrative
- Fighting a Specter in Times of War: Soviet Jewry and the Heroization of Bogdan Khmelnitsky
- Summer Conference 2013
- Summer Lecture
- Marc Michael Epstein Lecture
- Kenneth Sacks Lecture
- Institute of Jewish Studies Summer Concert
- An Extraordinary Archive: Emanuel Ringelblum and the Warsaw Ghetto
- Jewish Identity and Israeli Foreign Policy
- Sephardim, Holocaust and Diasporic Memory: the Jews from the Island of Rhodes
- Rescue during the Holocaust: Sources and Causes
- David to Nehemiah: new fragments from Kenyon’s Jerusalem
- Book Launch: Ruta's Closet
- The Amazing Adventures of a Hebrew Manuscript from Medieval England
- My Father the Good Nazi: Reflections on an Encounter
- First Films of the Holocaust: Soviet Cinema and the Genocide of the Jews, 1938-1946
- Ukrainians, Jews and Poles: The Ukrainian Triangle in Historical Perspective
- Bringing the Dark to Light – Memory of the Holocaust in Postcommunist Europe
- Blair, Labour and Palestine: Conflicting Views on Middle East Peace After 9/11
- Jews and the Making of the Modern Cultural Industry
- Vision 2020: Leading British Jewry into the Future
- Redcliffe Salaman, President of the Jewish Historical Society of England
- From Ambivalence to Betrayal: The Left, the Jews and Israel
- The Postwar Quest for Justice: Jewish Honor Courts in Poland and in the Displaced Persons’ Camps
Fighting a Specter in Times of War: Soviet Jewry and the Heroization of Bogdan Khmelnitsky
Publication date: Feb 7, 2013 3:53:07 PM
Start: Mar 20, 2013 6:45:00 PM
Location: UCL Chadwick Lecture Theatre, Chadwick Building, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
Gennady Estraikh is Associate Professor of Yiddish Studies at the New York University's Skirball Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies.
In 1988-91 he was Managing Editor of the Moscow Yiddish monthly Sovetish Heymland and later worked at the Oxford Institute of Yiddish Studies and at SOAS. His weekly column in the New York Yiddish newspaper Forverts has appeared since 1999.
He is the author of the monographs Soviet Yiddish: Language Planning and Linguistic Development (1996), In Harness: Yiddish Writers' Romance with Communism (2005), and Yiddish in the Cold War (2008) and co-edited a number of academic volumes, the most recent of which is Translating Sholem Aleichem: History, Politics and Art (2012).
6.15pm - Reception (Chadwick Meeting Room, Chadwick Building, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT).
6.45pm - Lecture begins.
61st Public Lecture Series
Admission: Free (voluntary contributions are welcomed)
Page last modified on 07 feb 13 15:41