- Time: TUESDAY 7 MAY 2019, 17:30-20:00
- Venue: British School at Rome
Live screening of the rarely seen yet remarkable Italian silent feature film Julius Caesar or Cajus Julius Caesar (1914 dir. Enrico Guazzoni), brought over especially from the archives of the Netherlands Film Institute and accompanied by an original score composed for the occasion by the noted concert pianist and composer Michele Sganga. Caesar’s life is presented in three movements: first romantic melodrama (his secret love for the beautiful Servilia); then triumph (his victory in Gaul); finally tragedy (death at the hands of his friends). Roman history gains life, colour, motion and – on this night – the premiere of new music. Introduced by Maria Wyke (University College London) & Monika Woźniak (La Sapienza).
Three Links for the composer:
- CV: Michele Sganga CV (English version)
- Youtube Channel: Michele Sganga on Youtube
- Facebook homepage: Michele Sganga on Facebook