Re-imagining Italianità is involved in a range of research activities in the UK and abroad. Details of these activities can be found below.
The Leverhulme international network Re-imagining italianità: Opera and Musical Culture in Transnational Context will host a one-day informal workshop at UCL on 18 January, 2019. Network members will be joined by Prof Arnold Jacobshagen (University of Cologne) and Prof Susan Rutherford (University of Manchester), who along with Dr Francesca Vella (network member, University of Cambridge) will present papers. See workshop programme for more details.
Seminar Series, University of Cambridge
Dr Francesca Vella hosted several Sounding (Out) Italy seminars between 2018 and 2019. These interdisciplinary seminars explored Italian soundscapes and auditory cultures. See Seminar Series Schedule for details.
Professor Axel Körner will be giving the Hugo-Riemann lecture on 'Oper als transnationale Erfahrung' via a live public lecture on 2 December 2020 at 6pm (Central European Time). More information and the link to join the session may be found here.
He has given the following public talks :
- Beethoven vor dem Nationalstaat. Historische Lebenswelten und Zeiterfahrung. Online inaugural lecture as Leibniz Professor, Leipzig University, 30 October 2020. [Delivered in German]
- Italian Opera in Global and Transnational Perspective: Reimagining Italianità in the Long Nineteenth Century. Online seminar with Leipzig Research Centre Global Dynamics and École Normale Supérieure, Paris, 16 October 2020
- Italian Opera in European Perspective: Thinking beyond the Nation. Lecture at Da Puccini A Rossini: Costruzioni, Costanti E Varianti Nel Lungo Ottocento Italiano convention, Florence, January 2019
- Music and International Networks at the Turn of the 20th Century. Panel at Congress of the International Musicological Association, Tokyo, March 2017
- Weber, Bohemia, and the Romantic Imagination. Paper at Royal College of Music/Internationale Carl Maria von Weber Gesellschaft (Jahrestagung). London, February 2017
- Eine Italienische Reise von Hindustan nach Braband: Meyerbeers Africaine als Weltereignis. Ringvorlesung Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, January 2017
- Dall'opera italiana all'opera in Italia. RIsorgimento, unificazione e teatro musicale europeo, paper at Convegno Internazionale "Mantova, il Risorgimento, L'Europa." Mantova, Bibliogeca Teresiana, October 2016
- Beyond nationality. Transnational history and rethinking opera studies. Lecture for research colloquium, Oxford Brooks University, May 2016
Graduate Reading Group, University of Cambridge
Dr Francesca Vella has hosted a regular reading group for graduate students at St John's College, University of Cambridge. Readings are detailed below.
- Sebastian Conrad, What is Global History? (Princeton University Press, 2016) [extracts]
- Nicholas Cook, 'Western Music as World Music', in The Cambridge History of World Music, ed. Philip Bohlman (Cambridge University Press, 2013), 75-99
- Martin Stokes, 'On Musical Cosmopolitanism', The Macalester International Roundtable (2017)
- Dana Gooley, Ryan Minor, Katherine K. Present, and Jann Pasler, 'Cosmopolitanism in the Age of Nationalism, 1848-1914', Journal of the American Musicological Society, 66/2 (2013), 523-546
- Wiliam Weber, 'Cosmopolitan National and Regional Identities in Eighteenth-Century Musical Life', in Oxford Handbook of the New Cultural History of Music, ed. J. Fulcher (Oxford University Press), 209-227
- Goffredo Plastino and Joseph Sciorra, eds., Neapolitan Postcards: the Canzone Napoletana as Transnational Subject (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016) [extracts]
- Charlotte Bentley (graduate student, University of Cambridge), article drafts about opera in 19th-century New Orleans
- Tamara Levitz, Eric Drott, Brigid Cohen, Victoria Eli Rodríguez, Ryan Dohoney, Emma Dillon, Matthew D. Morrison, 'Colloquy: Musicology Beyond Borders?', Journal of the American Musicological Soceity, 65/3 (2012), 821-61
2nd Transnational Opera Studies Conference
Bern 5-7 July 2017
Call for Papers