|Discovery:||first mentioned, 1843 inc|
|Geology:||Forsyth/1996: `Blue granite'. Allen/Anderson/1903, 176: `pillar of whinstone'.|
|Dimensions:||1.37 x 0.76 x 0.45 (Forsyth/1996)|
Forsyth/1996, 385: `According to Stuart there were formerly four stones lying `a short distance from one another' on the Moor of Carden to the west of theIr current position (quoting the New Statistical Account of Aberdeenshire, 1832, p. 638). About 1821 the moor was planted and the stones built into the enclosing wall of one of the plantations. They were later erected in the garden of Logie Elphinstone House'.
Forsyth/1996, 386: `A pointed pillar'.
|Condition:||complete , good|
Forsyth/1996, 390: `Condition: Good. Carving intact and well preserved'.
|Decorations:||animal; geometric other|
Forsyth/1996, 392, notes that this stone is incised with a crescent-and-V-rod over a double-disc-and-Z-rod, and that there are parallels with the nearby symbol stone at Bourtrie, and `on three Class II cross slabs, Aberlemno 3 FOR, Cossins FOR and Elgin MOR (inverted)'.
|Allen, R. (1903):||[HT^C]A[L^BA]TCAHO|
Allen/Anderson/1903 176 reading only
|Forsyth, K.S. (1996):||Q[F]TQU|
Forsyth/1996 393--400 substantial discussion
|Position:||inc ; broad ; inc ; undivided|
|Palaeography:||Forsyth/1996, 396: `Strokes are generally evenly spaced and sloped within letters, though both these are open to distortion because of the curving of the stem'.|
Forsyth/1996, 393: `The carving of the ogham is very clear'.