Awards and announcements
5 July 2012
Extracts from the Provost's newsletter.
Warmest congratulations to:
Professor Cathy Price of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging at UCL on the award, by the jury of the IPSEN Foundation, of the Neuropsychology Prize for 2012 (20,000 €) for her outstanding contribution to the domain of reading and writing. The citation records that her research has had a highly significant impact on the development of the field. Previous winners include Nobel prize-winner (and member of UCL’s Sainsbury-Wellcome Centre International Governing Body) Eric Kandel (1992), and UCL colleagues (Dame) Uta Frith (2003) and Faraneh Vargha-Khadem (2006).
leading UCL scientists who have won the following highly prestigious
and competitive Wellcome Trust senior investigator awards:
- Professor Ray Dolan, Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging at UCL: The neurobiology of motivation in health and disease
- Professor Annette Dolphin, UCL Pharmacology,: Physiological and pathological regulation of calcium-channel and other ion-channel functions by alpha2delta-subunits and their interacting proteins
- Professor Gabriel Waksman, UCL Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology (jointly with Birkbeck College): An integrated study of a bacterial secretion nanomachine. Joint senior investigator awards
- Professor Elizabeth Fisher UCL Neurodegenerative Disease and Dr Victor Tybulewicz, Department of Immune Cell Biology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research: Understanding Down Syndrome phenotypes through innovative mouse genetics
- Dr James Briscoe, Division of Developmental Biology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research: Regulatory dynamics of vertebrate neural tube development. UCL is now the most successful university in these Wellcome competitive awards.