New Year's Honours List
7 January 2009
Several members of the UCL community were recognised in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours list.
Professor Sally Davies (MSc Middlesex Hospital Medical School 1981), Honorary Professor in Public Health (UCL Institute of Child Health), was awarded a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) for services to medicine.
Professor David Norse, Emeritus Professor of Environmental Management (UCL Environment Institute and UCL Geography) and former Pro-Provost, was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for services to international sustainable development and UK/China relations.
Professor Martin Raff, Emeritus Professor in Molecular Cell Biology (UCL Life Sciences) and UCL Honorary Fellow 2004, was awarded a CBE for services to life sciences.
Dr Stephen Davis (BSc Psychology 1998, PhD Psychology 2002), Senior Research Scientist (UCL Psychology), was awarded an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to children with communication disorders.
Dr Maggie Aderin (UCL Science and Technology Studies) and Visiting Research Fellow (UCL Physics & Astronomy), was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for services to science.
Knighthoods were conferred upon Bernard Ribeiro (Middlesex Hospital Medical School), former President of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (2005–2008), for services to medicine and Dr Mark Walport (MBBChir Middlesex Hospital Medical School 1977), Chief Executive of the Wellcome Trust, for services to medical research.
Nicholas MacPherson (MSc Economics 1982), Permanent Secretary of the Treasury, received a Knights Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB).
OBEs were awarded to:
- Victoria Barnsley (BA English 1977 and UCL Fellow 2005), Chief Executive of HarperCollins UK, for services to the publishing industry
- Dr (John) Rhidian Dowdle (Middlesex Hospital Medical School 1968), former Consultant Physician (Cardiology, Cwm Taf NHS Trust), for services to medicine
- Stephen Ellison (MSc SLAIS – now Information Studies – 1993), former Clerk of the Parliamentary Archives
- Dr Geoffrey Ridgway (Royal Free Hospital Medical School 1971), former Consultant Microbiologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer (UCL Hospitals), for services to microbiology.
MBEs were awarded to:
- Gerald Blacoe (BA German 1976), Export Manager at Fogarty (Filled Products) Ltd and Director of East Midlands Trade Association, for services to international trade and to the community in Lincolnshire
- Katharine Coleman (MPhil Geography 1974), glass engraver and part-time lecturer, for services to glass engraving
- Stanley Jones (CDIP UCL Slade School of Fine Art 1956), Studio Director of The Curwen Studio and former lecturer at the UCL Slade School of Fine Art (1958–1998), for services to lithography
- Christine Ohuruogu (BA Linguistics 2005), current 400m Commonwealth, World and Olympic Champion, for services to sport
- Dr Doron Swade (PhD History 2003), Visiting Professor at Portsmouth University (History of Computing), for services to the history of computing.
A Knighthood was conferred upon Peter Dixon, Chairman of UCL Hospitals since 2001 and Chairman of the Housing Corporation, for services to the housing sector.
Rob Holden (Lay Member of UCL Council 2006 and UCL Audit Committee), Chief Executive of London and Continental Railways, was awarded a CBE for services to the rail industry.
To read the full New Year's Honours List, follow the link at the top of this article.