Robert Nutter Campbell
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 11th Apr 1845
Claimant or beneficiary
Son of Mungo Campbell of Hundelshope and Elizabeth Nutter. Date of birth unknown.
- Subject with his wife Margaret of a double portrait by Henry Raeburn. No evidence of a commercial career. Apparently a soldier early in his life: Robert Nutter Campbell appears sequentially as an Ensign and Captain in the 94th Regiment of Foot in 1791 and 1792. Thereafter he appears as Lt-Col in the Peebleshire Militia in 1808 and (rather oddly if it's the same man) as half-pay captain in the 94th Foot in 1826. This may be Robert Nutter Campbell of Ormidale (1799-1856). Inventory of Robert Nutter Campbell of Kailzie, residing at no. 41 Melville Street, Edinburgh, registered 04/06/1845; the will of Robert Nutter Campbell, late of Kailzie but now residing in Edinburgh proved the same day.
T71/880 Grenada claim no. 780 (Carriere).
- London Gazette, Issue 12129, 21/10/1780, p. 1 [which refers to the 49th Regiment of Foot]; London Gazette, Issue 12316, 23/07/1782, p. 3; London Gazette, Issue 16210, 17/12/1808, p. 1713; London Gazette, Issue 18221, 18/02/1826, p. 363; SC70/1/66; SC70/4/1.
Margaret Montgomery (1791)
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Owner
Kailzie House [Built]
Built 1803 by Robert Nutter Campbell; demolished c....
41 Melville Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian (Edinburgh), Central Scotland, Scotland
Kailzie House, Peeblesshire, Southern Scotland, Scotland