2012 IoN News Archive
- Hereditary Whispering Dystonia gene identified
- Belgian Stroke Council Award to UCL student
- Professor Nicholas Wood appointed as neuroscience programme director for UCLH NIHR Biomedical Research Centre (BRC)
- UCL neuroscientists awarded highly competitive ERC Advanced Grants
- Drugs could provide new treatment for epilepsy
- Breakthrough in the treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy
- UCL Institute of Neurology enters gene-editing research collaboration with Horizon Discovery
- Lifetime achievement award for Professor Thompson’s MS work
- New biography of Gowers released
- Repurposed cardiac sodium channel blocker brings significant benefit for patients with a rare neuromuscular disease
- Toxic protein build-up in blood shines light on fatal brain disease
- Professor Lees receives prestigious German Society of Neurology award
- Cause of Alternating Hemiplegia identified
- Dr John Morgan-Hughes
- Results from stroke treatment study are in top 10 of Lancet’s most highly cited papers
- Skin patch improves attention span in stroke patients
- Genetic study identifies treatable pathway in childhood motor neuron disease
- Awards and congratulations
- Medical Photographer Wins Wellcome Image Awards
- Prestigious Junior Investigator Award for stroke research
- Unlocking the mysteries of the mind
- Official unveiling of Neuroimaging Centre
- Professor Simon Shorvon appointed Harveian librarian at the Royal College of Physicians
- Parliamentary Group Visit the Institute
- Cultural Consultation Service website launches
- Clinical Teaching Awards 2011/12
- Prestigious European Science Foundation networking grant awarded to Institute of Neurology professor
- International project to determine vascular contribution to neurodegeneration begins
- Prime Minister visits UCL Institute of Neurology
- Professor Ray Dolan gives the prestigious Alan Turing Lecture
- The Performing Brain – A moving story? Friday 16th March
- Are we hard wired to be rebellious?
- Detecting stroke
- Queen Square Clinical Trial Centre launched
- New funding to preserve unique archives
- Major new funding for research into epilepsy is announced
- Professor Ray Dolan elected Fellow of the APS
- New Years Honours
- Brain Implant Cures Woman's Tourette's Tics
Medical Photographer Wins Wellcome Image Awards
21 June 2012
We are very pleased to announce that at the Wellcome Image Awards
2012 ceremony which took place in London last night Robert Ludlow,
medical photographer at the UCL Institute of Neurology, UCLH National
Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery Medical Illustration Unit was
named as the overall winner.
This is the first time a single image has been
awarded this accolade in the twelve year history of this prestigious event.
Robert’s stunning image “Intracranial recording for epilepsy” shows the surface of a patient’s brain during surgery at the UCLH National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square.
Professor Alice Roberts, who was a member of the judging panel, said: “This is a remarkable image of a human brain. What makes it so different from most images of the surface of the brain is that this organ is living- this is a brain as it is encountered during neurosurgery".
“Through the skill of the photographer, we have the privilege of seeing something that is normally hidden away inside our skulls. The arteries are bright scarlet with oxygenated blood, the veins deep purple and the ‘grey matter’ of the brain a flushed, delicate pink. It is quite extraordinary.”
Derek Tutssel, Head of the Medical Illustration Unit, is
pictured receiving the award from Fergus Walsh of the BBC on behalf of
Robert Ludlow who was attending the birth of his son.
Upon receiving news the award, Robert Ludlow commented: "I feel very privileged and very proud at winning this award"
Medical Illustration is based in the UCLH
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square and
provides a unique clinical photographic and videographic, PR
photographic service, as well as a design, poster printing and a
technical support service to our clinical and academic colleagues within
the UCLH, UCL ION and wider UCL.
Links and press coverage >> Wellcome Trust News
Page last modified on 14 jan 14 12:23