The publications below have been selected from the UCL publications database.
- Shepherd, E. J. (2012). An 'academic' dilemma: The tale of archives and records management. Journal of Librarianship & Information Science 44(3), 174-184 doi:10.1177/0961000611427067.
- Shepherd, E. J. (2011). Editor of: Andrew Flinn and Elizabeth Shepherd, guest editors, ‘Special Issue: Archives, Records and Identities – Questions of Trust’. Archival Science 11(3-4)
- Shepherd, E. J., Flinn, A., Stevenson, A. (2011). Freedom of Information and records management in local government: help or hindrance? Information Polity: the International Journal of Governance and Democracy in the Information Age
- Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Stevenson, A. (2011). Records Management in English Local Government: the effect of freedom of information. Records Management Journal
- Shepherd, E., Group, A. -. P. A. E. A. R. I. P. T. A. C. (2011). Educating for the Archival Multiverse. American Archivist
- Shepherd, E. (2010). Archivists in 21st century Europe: emerging professionals? In Laeven, T., Hokke, E. (Eds.). S@P Yearbook 2010 ( ). Netherlands:
- Shepherd, E. (2010). Review of 'Community Archives: the shaping of memory edited by Jeannette Bastian and Ben Alexander'. Oral History
- Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Stevenson, A. (2010). Information governance, records management, and freedom of information: A study of local government authorities in England. Government Information Quarterly 27(4), 337-345 doi:10.1016/j.giq.2010.02.008.
- Stevens, M., Flinn, A., Shepherd, E. (2010). New frameworks for community engagement in the archive sector: from handing over to handing on. International Journal of Heritage Studies 16(1), 59-76
- Flinn, A., Stevens, M., Shepherd, E. (2009). Whose memories, whose archives? Independent community archives, autonomy and the mainstream. Archival Science 9(1-2), 71-86 doi:10.1007/s10502-009-9105-2.
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Archival Science. In Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences ( ). Taylor and Francis.
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Archives and Archivists in 20th Century England. Aldershot, Hants: Ashgate.
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Culture and evidence: or what good are the archives? Archives and archivists in twentieth century England. Archival Science 9(3), 173-185 doi:10.1007/s10502-009-9077-2.
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Review of 'Electronic Records in the Manuscript Repository by Elizabeth Dow'. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 61(7), 1512-1513 doi:10.1002/asi.
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Review of 'Planning and implementing electronic records management by Kelvin Smith'. Journal of Documentation 65(1), 171-172 Author URL
- Shepherd, E. (2009). Review of 'What are Archives? Cultural and Theoretical Perspectives: a reader edited by Louise Craven'. Library and Information Update
- Shepherd, E. (2009). The impact of the UK Freedom of Information Act on digital records management in the public sector. Proceedings of the Vth DLM-Forum Conference. Direction des Archives de France. Author URL
- Shepherd, E., Flinn, A., Stevenson, A. (2009). The impact of freedom of information on records management and record use in local government: a literature review. Journal of the Society of Archivists 30(2), 227-248
- Shepherd, E. (2008). Review of 'Archival Internships by J Bastian and D Webber'. Journal of the Society of Archivists 29(2)
- Shepherd, E. (2007). Archives. In Bowman, J. H. (Ed.). British librarianship and information work 2001-2005 ( pp.248-256). Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Shepherd, E. (2007). Review of 'Managing archives: foundations, principles and practice' by Caroline Williams. Business Archives: principles and practice 93, 73-74
- Shepherd, E. (2007). Review of 'Political pressure and the archival record' by Margaret Procter, Michael Cook and Caroline Williams (eds). Archives 116, 58-59
- Shepherd, E. J. (2007). Freedom of Information and Records Management in the UK: What has been the Impact?1. Journal of the Society of Archivists 28(2), 125-138 doi:10.1080/00379810701607736.
- Shepherd, E., Ennion, E. (2007). How has the implementation of the UK Freedom of Information Act 2000 affected archives and records management services? Records Management Journal 17(1), 32-51
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Developing a new academic discipline: UCL's contribution to the research and teaching of archives and records management. Aslib Proceedings 58(1-2), 10-19
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Is archives and records management an academic discipline or a profession for practitioners? VII European Conference on Archives: Archivist: profession of the Future in Europe Conference Proceedings. ( pp.82-90). Warsaw: Head Office of State Archives Poland/International Council on Archives.
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Review of 'Selecting and appraising archives and manuscripts' by Frank Boles. Journal of the Society of Archivists 27(2), 247-248
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Sixty years of archival education in England 1947-2006: looking back and looking forward. Second Asia-Pacific Conference for Archival Educators and Trainers 18-19 October 2006 Proceedings. ( pp.103-111). Tokyo: International Council on Archives.
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Tradition and position in England. In Butikofer, N., Hofman, H., Ross, S. (Eds.). Managing and Archiving Records in the Digital Era: changing professional orientations ( pp.51-57). Baden: Swiss State Secretariat for Education and Research.
- Shepherd, E. (2006). Why are records in the public sector organizational assets? Records Management Journal 16(1), 6-12
- Shepherd, E. J. (2006). Archives. In Bowman, J. H. (Ed.). British librarianship and information work 1991-2000 ( pp.262-281). Chippenham: Ashgate.
- Shepherd, E. (2005). . ‘Freedom of Information and records management in the UK: what has been the impact so far?’ DLM Forum 5-7 October 2005, Budapest. Author URL
- Shepherd, E. (2005). Review of 'Ethics and the archival profession: introduction and case studies' by Karen Benedict. Journal of the Society of Archivists 26(1), 149-151
- Shepherd, E. (2004). Towards Professionalism? Archives and Archivists in England in the Twentieth Century.
- Shepherd, E. (2003). Review of 'Managing Historical Records Programs: A Guide for Historical Agencies by B W Dearstyne'. Archival Science 3, 65-66
- Shepherd, E. (2003). Review of 'Norton on Archives: The Writings of Margaret Cross Norton on Archival and Records Management by T W Mitchell (ed)'. Archival Science 3(1-2), 319-320 doi:10.1007/s10502-004-2627-8.
- Shepherd, E. (2003). Review of 'Preservation of the Integrity of Electronic Records by L Duranti, T Eastwood and H MacNeil'. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science 35(3), 204-205
- Shepherd, E. J., West, V. (2003). Are ISO 15489-1:2001 and ISAD(G) compatible? Part 1. Records Management Journal 13(1), 9-23 doi:10.1108/09565690310465704.
- Shepherd, E., West, V. (2003). Are ISO 15489-1:2001 and ISAD(G) compatible? Part 2. Records Management Journal 13(2), 62-69 doi:10.1108/09565690310485289.
- Shepherd, E., Yeo, G. (2003). Managing records: a handbook of principles and practice. London: Facet Publishing.
- Shepherd, E., Pringle, R. (2002). Mapping Descriptive Standards Across Domains: A comparison of ISAD(G) and SPECTRUM. Journal of the Society of Archivists 23(1), 17-34
- Shepherd, E. (2000). Report on the proposal for a European training project for administrators, archivists and information managers: E-term. Proceedings of the DLM-Forum on electronic records. European citizens and electronic information: the memory of the Information Society Brussels 18-19 October 1999. ( pp.244-249). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Shepherd, E., Smith, C. (2000). The application of ISAD(G) to the description of archival datasets. Journal of the Society of Archivists 21(1), 55-86
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1998). 'Something old, something new: the British experience of distance learning in archives and records management'. International Council on Archives Archival Review Janus (1998.2)
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1998). Partnerships in professional education: a study in archives and records management. Records Management Journal 8(3), 19-37
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1997). 'Continuing Vocational Education: a project progress report from University College London'. Records Management Journal 7(2), 131-146
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1997). 'Something old, something new: the British experience of distance learning in archives and records management: a summary'. ACARM Newsletter (19), 29-32
- Shepherd, E. (1997). 'Archives'. In Butler, L. J., Gorst, A. (Eds.). Modern British History: a guide to study and research ( pp.48-62). London: IB Tauris.
- Shepherd, E. (1997). The Management of Electronic Records. London: South Bank University.
- Shepherd, E. (1996). Esperienze sulla descrizione e automazione negli archivi europei: la pratica britannica nell’automazione di archivi storici. Gli standard per la descrizione degli archivi europei: experienze e proposte 1994. ( pp.210-219). Italy: Pubblicazioni degli Archivi di Stato.
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1995). A Window to the Future: Papers from a Conference on Managing Electronic Information. London, UK: University College London, SLAIS.
- Shepherd, E. (1994). Managing Electronic Records. Records Management Journal 4(1), 39-49
- Shepherd, E. (1994). Records Management in Britain - A Review of Some Developments in Professional Principles and Practice. Business Archives 67, 13-25
- Shepherd, E. (1993). Paper, film, disk or tape?: a review of records storage media. Records Management Bulletin 56, 25-28
- Shepherd, E. (Ed.) (1985). The Journal of Sir Peter Laurie. London, UK: Saddlers' Company.