The UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) (formerly Language Centre) offers a range of 0.5 and 1.0 course units (7.5 and 15 ECTS, 15 and 30 graduate credits respectively).
- form part of undergraduate and graduate degree programmes.
- are open to all current University of London undergraduates and graduates.
- Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese and Spanish 0.5 and 1.0 course units (7.5 and 15 ECTS, 15 and 30 graduate credits respectively).
- 3 English for Academic Purposes 0.5 course units (7.5 ECTS, 15 graduate credits).
- a TEFL 1.0 course unit (15 ECTS).
Class and room information is available on the UCL Online Timetable.
Please note that it is not possible under any circumstances to attend or join a group unless you have been officially registered for it by the CLIE.
Course information for 2015-2016
- Seven levels from complete beginners (syllabus A) to advanced (syllabus D) and post-A level (Business and Current Affairs; Current Affairs and Culture (Social, Historical and Political); Professional Purposes II; Academic Purposes II; Translation Skills). We also offer French for Art Historians and Italian for Art Historians at intermediate level. Please note that Arabic and Mandarin are currently available at levels 1 to 5 (Business and Current Affairs), Dutch is available at levels 1 to 4 and Portuguese is available at levels 1 to 3.
- Most levels are available as either a 0.5 unit or a 1.0 unit (7.5 or 15 ECTS, 15 or 30 graduate credits respectively). A 1.0 unit (15 ECTS, 30 graduate credits) is more intensive and enables you to make faster progress and cover more material.
- English Language Skills for Academic Purposes – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS, 15 graduate credits).
- Academic Writing in English for Non-Native Speakers – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS, 15 graduate credits).
- Academic Writing in English for Native Speakers – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS).
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) [LCTE7900] – 1.0 course unit (15 ECTS).
- This initial teacher training course will help you acquire the skills you need if you plan to teach English abroad as part of your degree, or if you wish to teach English during the holidays or after you have finished your studies. On completion of the course you will receive a teaching certificate, validated by UCL, in addition to your module credit as part of your degree programme. In addition, the course provides students with the opportunity to complete the course with a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) awarded by Cambridge English. The course also covers transferable skills such as team building, time management, presentation skills and cross-cultural awareness.
- LCTE7900: TEFL 1.0 Course Unit Brochure
Much of this site is restricted to current UCL staff and students. For access you will require a valid UCL Information Services Division computer account and password.
Page last modified on 10 jul 15 23:05
The UCL Centre
for Languages & International Education (CLIE) Course Unit website is for your personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from these pages.