The UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) offers a range of 0.5 and 1.0 course units (15 and 30 credits/7.5 and 15 ECTS respectively).
- form part of undergraduate and graduate degree programmes.
- are open to all current University of London undergraduates and graduates.
- Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese and Spanish 0.5 and 1.0 course units (15 and 30 credits/7.5 and 15 ECTS respectively).
- 3 English for Academic Purposes 0.5 course units (15 credits/7.5 ECTS).
- a BSL (British Sign Language) 0.5 course unit (15 credits/7.5 ECTS).
- Modern foreign language course units
- Seven levels from complete beginners (syllabus A) to advanced (syllabus D) and post-A level (Business and Current Affairs; Current Affairs and Culture (Social, Historical and Political); Professional Purposes II; Academic Purposes II; Translation Skills). We also offer French for Art Historians and Italian for Art Historians at intermediate level. Currently Arabic is available at levels 1 to 5 (Business and Current Affairs), Dutch is available at levels 1 to 4 and Portuguese is available at levels 1 to 3.
- Most levels are available as either a 0.5 unit or a 1.0 unit (7.5 or 15 ECTS/15 or 30 graduate credits respectively). A 1.0 unit (15 ECTS/30 graduate credits) is more intensive and enables you to make faster progress and cover more material.
- English for Academic Purposes course units
- English Language Skills for Academic Purposes – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS/15 graduate credits).
- Academic Writing in English for Non-Native Speakers – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS/15 graduate credits).
- Academic Writing in English for Native Speakers – 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS).
- British Sign Language 0.5 course unit
- BSL (British Sign Language) - Introduction [LCBS6001] - 0.5 course unit (7.5 ECTS)
- This course teaches the basics of British Sign Language and the British Deaf community.
Classes start on Monday 09 October 2017; if you would like to take a CLIE language module and have not yet had your interview with a CLIE language tutor to determine your level please come as soon as possible. Dates and times.
Class rooms/online timetable
All classes are on the Online Timetable.
Much of this site is restricted to current UCL staff and students. For access you will require a valid UCL Information Services Division computer account and password.