Note for applicants to the Conference Fund
There is no requirement to have a collaborator in a different department.
This funding opportunity is only open to previous recipients of Bridging the Gaps funding.
How can we apply?
Basic Eligibility Criteria
- All applications for funding under the bridging the gaps programme
must clearly state how the proposed activity relates to, and supports
or develops research into sustainable urban spaces.
- Each application must be submitted by a lead applicant.
- The lead applicant must be an early career researcher, we have defined
this as anyone from Post-Doctoral Research Fellow up to, and including,
- Most applications must also include a main collaborator in addition to
the lead applicant.
- The core collaborators (lead applicant and main collaborator) must
be academic or research staff employed by UCL.
- The core collaborators must work in two different UCL departments.
- The core collaborators should not have been funded together on a
- More UCL staff or external collaborators can be included in addition
to the core UCL collaborators.
- Professors are not excluded from involvement in any collaboration,
but the collaboration should be led by the early career researcher.
- Priority will be given to new collaboration - between researchers
who have not worked together in the past.
Additional Eligibility Criteria for the Open Programme
- Applicants to the open programme must provide details of what the
funding is required for, describing how it will help initiate, or develop,
an interdisciplinary research partnership, or develop an interdisciplinary
research idea. It should be clear how the research idea relates to
sustainable urban spaces, or how the collaboration could lead to research
in this area.
Additional Eligibility Criteria for the Staff Exchange Programme
- The participants in the staff exchange programme must get the permission of both heads of department.
- If successful the applicants should be able to provide a breakdown of the costs involved in releasing one or both of them from their departments.
Additional Eligibility Criteria for the MSc Competition
- The first supervisor for the MSc will be the lead applicant.
- The second supervisor will be the main collaborator.
- The Bridging the Gaps programme cannot directly pay tuition fees for the student, but the student is free to use the payment to cover course costs. The length of MSc courses and the fees vary depending on the course, but a 1 year course with fees of £3,300 would not be unusual.
- Supervisors take on the sole responsibility for choosing students and running the projects. A report from the research will be submitted to the Bridging the Gaps team upon completion of the project for review.
Additional Eligibility Criterion for the Escalator Fund
- One of the main collaborators for the Escalator fund must have been a previous recipient of Bridging the Gaps funding.