UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


St Pancras Royal General Dispensary


It was founded in 1837 as a provident dispensary

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It was one of many such dispensaries, introduced in the early 19th century as a way of allowing working-class members to make contributions when they could afford it and draw on medical services such as midwifery and home visits when needed

Where in Bloomsbury

It was at 26 Burton Crescent from at least 1841 to at least 1861, according to Post Office directories

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

It is mentioned briefly in F. Peter Woodford, ‘Provident and Non-Provident Dispensaries in Camden,’ Camden History Review, vol. 25 (2001)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google