UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


St Giles-in-the-Fields

Also known as St Giles


It was originally founded as a chapel attached to the leper hospital in 1101, and became a parish church after the Reformation in 1547

It is the oldest church in the Bloomsbury area

The parish of St Giles was poor and overcrowded for centuries; it is where the Great Plague began in 1665

Despite this, the church has many historical assocations with the rich and famous

What was reforming about it?

The parish has been active in organising charitable relief and local education for centuries

Where in Bloomsbury

The current building on what is now St Giles’ High Street dates from the 1730s

Website of current institution

www.stgilesonline.org (opens in new window)

Books about it

Rowland Dobie, The History of the United Parishes of St Giles in the Fields and St George Bloomsbury (1829)


Parish records are still held on site, along with some administrative records of the church itself

This page last modified 14 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google