UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Also known as “John and Lizzie’s”


It was founded in 1856 by Cardinal Wiseman and the Sisters of Mercy nurses as a nursing home next to the Catholic Church of St John of Jerusalem in Great Ormond Street

When it moved out of Bloomsbury to t John’s Wood, the church was taken down and rebuilt brick-by-brick at the new site

The former nursing home building itself became part of Great Ormond Street Hospital

It remains a privately-run charity outside the National Health Service (NHS)

It is the UK’s foremost Catholic hospital, though it still treats patients regardless of their denomination

What was reforming about it?

It accepted non-Catholic patients

It was one of the earliest of the medical establishments which increasingly took over Queen Square area from the middle of the nineteenth century

Where in Bloomsbury

It was in Great Ormond Street, next to the Catholic Church of St John of Jerusalem

It sold its Bloomsbury premises in 1897 to the neighbouring Hospital for Sick Children, opening purpose-built premises in 1901 in St John’s Wood

Website of current institution

www.hje.org.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

None found


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google