UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


John Street Baptist Chapel

Also known as John Street Chapel


It opened in 1818 as a Baptist chapel

It was built for the eloquent and controversial preacher James Harington Evans, a leading figure in the Western Schism (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

Henry Drummond presented him with a life tenancy of the Chapel in 1818, which he held until retirement in 1847 (Grayson Carter, Anglican Evangelicals: Protestant Secessions from the Via Media, c. 1800–1850, 2001)

The Chapel was still listed in Dickens’s Dictionary of London (1888)

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

In the 1820s it was at the forefront of debates over Christianity and the Baptist movement; Evans briefly left the congregation over such debates (Oxford Dictionary of National Biography)

It was later also associated with the prominent convert Rev. Baptist Wriothesley Noel, its Minister from 1849 to 1869

Where in Bloomsbury

It was on the site of what is now 21a John Street

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

A Declaration of the Faith and Practice of the Church of Christ Assembling at John Street Chapel, King’s Road, Gray’s-Inn Lane, Formed in 1824: To Which Are Annexed the Rules and Regulations Agreed to in 1826 (1826)


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google