UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Geologists’ Association

Also known as Geologists’ Association of London; not to be confused with the Geological Association


It was established in 1858 to promote the study of geology among amateurs, and to organise their mutual assistance, including the exchange of fossils and practical field-trips

Its first meeting was held in January 1859

Its library was and remains part of UCL Library

It continues to be an educational charity bringing together amateur and professional geologists

What was reforming about it?

From its inception it was open to men and women equally (Cynthia V. Burek and Bettie Higgs, The Role of Women in the History of Geology, 2007)

Where in Bloomsbury

After a peripatetic existence in its earliest years, it settled down to holding its meetings at UCL from 1867 until well into the twentieth century (George S. Sweeting, The Geologists’ Association, 1858–1958: A History of the First Hundred Years, 1958)

It is now based (along with the Geological Association) at Burlington House, Piccadilly

Website of current institution

www.geologists.org.uk (opens in new window)

Books about it

George S. Sweeting, The Geologists’ Association, 1858–1958: A History of the First Hundred Years (1958)


Its records (from 1894–1980) are held on site by the Association at Burlington House, Piccadilly, ref. GB/NNAF/C32886; very brief details are available via Archon (opens in new window)

Its journal, Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association, has been published since 1859 and includes material relating to the Associations history and its members; sets (mainly incomplete) are held by the British Library and some university libraries across Britain, and an electronic version is available on university or personal subscription via www.science.direct.com (opens in new window)

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google