UCL logo




Bloomsbury Project

Bloomsbury Institutions


Baptist Church (Cromer Street)

Also known as Cromer Street Chapel


It opened as a Baptist place of worship in 1838 in Cromer Street (Baptist Manual, 1845)

Its minister in the early 1860s was Rev. E. W. Thomas, of 200 Euston Road; however, he had resigned his ministry by the beginning of 1864 and was seeking a new post (The Church, January 1864)

It no longer exists

What was reforming about it?

It had a devout and abstemious congregation in the middle of one of the most notoriously rough and hard-drinking parts of Bloomsbury

Where in Bloomsbury

It was located in Cromer Street

Website of current institution

It no longer exists

Books about it

None found


None found

This page last modified 13 April, 2011 by Deborah Colville


Bloomsbury Project - University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - Telephone: +44 (0)20 7679 3134 - Copyright © 1999-2005 UCL

Search by Google