|Discovery:||in/on structure, 1863 Rosenzweig, L.|
|History:||Davies et al/2000, 254: `This sarcophagus, one of several from within the abbey of Saint-Gildas, was noted by Arbgall in Le Grand, late 19th-century commentators, and by Guigon [Guigon/1994: 81--82].|
The site was visited by members of the CISP team in May and June 1999'.
|Geology:||Davies et al/2000, 254: `granite'.|
|Dimensions:||1.98 x 0.7 x 0.44 (Davies/etal/2000)|
Davies et al/2000, 254: `The granite cover of a sarcophagus lies in the north transept of the abbey, adjacent to the west end of that of Abbot Felix [STGRH/1]'.
Davies et al/2000, 254: `The granite cover of a sarcophagus...It is coped, like M9 [STGRH/1], but has a less steep pitch than the latter and is of trapezoidal plan. It is 198cm long and 70cm wide at the head end, 44cm wide at the foot. The sarcophagus itself is not visible, since it is set lower in the ground than M9'.
|Condition:||complete , good|
|Folklore:||Davies et al/2000, 257: `This sarcophagus was locally believed to hold the bones of the early Breton saint Rioc'.|
Davies et al/2000, 254: `There are ridges in the form of a diagonal cross at the head end'.
|Rosenzweig, L. (1863):||RIOCUS ABBA|
Rosenzweig/1863 col. 218 reading only
|Guigon, P. (1994):||RIOCUS ABBA|
Guigon/1994 81--82 reading only
|Davies, W. et al. (1999):||RIOCVSA/BBA|
Davies/etal/2000 255 reading only
|Position:||n/a ; broad ; n/a ; undecorated|
Davies et al/2000, 254: `There is an inscription in one line on the right side of the upper part of the cover'.
|Date:||1000 - 1099 (Davies/etal/2000)|
Davies et al/2000, 257: `Palaeographic and circumstantial evidence suggest that the inscription was most probably carved in the 11th century'.
|Palaeography:||Davies et al/2000, 256: `This short epitaph is in capitals of uneven quality. Several letters, such as the I and S as well as the A/B ligature, lean to the left, while the final A leans to the right. The letters are also of uneven height, with the two adjacent Bs being the most notable examples. The first letter of the inscription, R, is extremely open, and although different from that found on M9 [STGRH/1], it is certainly comparable. There are two forms of A in the inscription: the final A has a rounded top, while the first has the two diagonals meeting at a point. It is the latter form that is paralleled on M9 [STGRH/1], and indeed this letter is also ligatured to the following B. Like the Bs of the first line of M9, the bows here do not join the ascender. There is little that can be said of the V, C, and S, although the last of these is different from those found on M9 [STGRH/1]. The O is neither quite circular, nor oval-shaped; it is, however, probably an attempt to produce an oval-shaped O. The similarities with M9, as well as the round-topped A, and the possible oval O, indicate a probable 11th-century date for this inscription'.|
The lettering is clear.