|Place:||Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys||Grid Ref:||210.3 2290.54 (FR)|
|County:||Morbihan (Mor-Bihan) , France||Saint(s):||Gildas|
Davies et al/2000, 251--252: `Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys lies on the south coast of Brittany on a southern tip of the Rhuys peninsula, 18km south south west of Vannes, on the opposite side of the Golfe du Morbihan. It is situated on a slight rise, at 35m above sea level; the bedrock is metamorphic. At the time of drawing the cadastral map of 1827, the settlement was much smaller than at present and was surrounded by arable (ADM 3P534 Saint-Gildas-de-Rhuys section H). Most of the arable was in divided fields (bandes) but to the south and north west of the abbey church there were the large rectangular fields characteristic of seigneurial property in the early modern period. The ecclesiastical settlement clearly dominated this part of the peninsula.
The present church has fabric of 11th- and 12th-century date, although it was considerably modified in the 17th and 18th centuries, the oldest part being the chapel of St Felix; Guigon points out that the earliest parts of the building seem to date from the second half of the 11th century'.