Corpus Refs:none
Discovery:recognised, 1958 Webley, D.P.
History:Webley/1958, 123: `In an attempt to trace lost stones...the writer was fortunate enough to find a previously unrecorded monument -- to be known as the Nant Crew Stone...Since the missing Nant Ddu stone had been used as a gatepost, a search was made for such surviving monoliths, and Mr. Evans, Coedowen Farm, Cwmtaff, mentioned that the only surviving gatepost, as far as he was aware, was the one standing at the entrance to the farmyard of the demolished Nant Crew farm --dismantled about 1890 to make way for the Cantref Reservoir. A visit to the site brought to light the fact that the western face of the stone bore an inscription.

At the time the full significance of the epigraphy was not realized. Dr. Savory, who accompanied the writer on the next visit, first appreciated the pre-Norman character of the inscription'.

Geology:Webley/1958, 124: `millstone grit'.
Dimensions:1.4 x 0.27 x 0.23 (converted from Webley/1958)
Setting:in ground
Webley/1958, 124: `at the entrance to the farmyard of the demolished Nant Crew Farm'.
Webley/1958, 124: `The 4 ft. 7 in. high, 10 1/2 in. wide across the Latin inscribed face, and 9 in. thick on the cross bearing side'.
Condition:complete , some
Webley/1958, 124: `The use of the indicated by the three bolt-holes in the inscribed face and the drastic trimming of the top edge, which has damaged the first four of the letters'.

CISP: From the photograph it would appear that the trimmed edge is the vertical one below the letters, i.e. on the left as one looks at the inscription.

Crosses:1: equal-armed; linear; expanded; plain; plain; none; none; none; n/a

Webley/1958, 124: `The cross, with arms 7 1/2 in. long and 1 in. thick is 3 ft. from the base...The cross has a close parallel in the missing Tal-y-bont stone, with its simple linear cross scored over the earlier Latin sixth-century inscription. This suggests that in the case of the Nant Crew Stone the cross is of later date (ninth century ?) than the inscription'.





Webley, D.P. (1958):[C]AMA[G]LIHICI{A}CI/TNI II
Webley/1958 124 & Plate reading only


Orientation:vertical down
Position:W ; broad ; beside cross ; undivided
Date:400 - 599 (Webley/1958)
Language:Latin (rcaps)
Ling. Notes:none
Palaeography:Webley/1958, 124: `Dr. Savory, who accompanied the writer on the next visit, first appreciated the pre-Norman character of the inscription, especially the angular cross-bars of the A and the conjoined IT. After examination of the photographs taken at the time, a further visit was made, and it was possible to decipher most of the other letters, giving the reading...[The inscription] shows connnections with another Brecon example -- that at Llanfihangel Cwm-du [LFIC1/1] -- points to the resemblance being the Greek angular cross-bars to the A's and C's. and the conjoined IT and then small L. The main differences are the absence of half-uncial forms and the forked serifs at Nant Crew. The M with the central angle stopping short of the base line (another Greek form) is Paralleled in Pembrokeshire and Caernarvonshire. All these inscriptions are fifth to sixth century types, and it is to this date that the Nant Crew Stone must be assigned'.
CISP: Some letters are difficult to read.
Carving errors:n