|Name:||Nant Crew||CISP No:||NANTC|
|Place:||Nant Crew||Grid Ref:||SN 9930 1650 (GB)|
|County:||Brecknock (Brycheiniog) , Wales||Saint(s):||none|
|Site Type:||modern secondary|
Webley/1958, 123--124: `The Taf Valley, Vaynor (Brecs) has already proved to be the provenance of four early Christian monuments. [ABCAR/1 and ABCAR/2, NANTD/1 and VAENR/1]...With the exception of the Abercar Stone, now in St. Tydfil's Church, Merthyr, all are lost...It will not be out of place if the topography of the Taf Valley Stones is examined here. All the five stones were found on farms on the east side of the Taf Fawr valley, at the mouth of river gullies through the Beacon's foothills -- the Crew, Ddu, and Car valleys. It is also worth recording that the Ystrad stone [PONTS/1] also stands beside a tributary of the Taf Fechan, and, just as in the case of that stone, the five others are situated in an area which had been intensively occupied in prehistoric times'.