|Place:||Abernethy||Grid Ref:||NO 1900 1640 (GB)|
|County:||Perthshire , Scotland||Saint(s):||none|
Forsyth/1996, 2--4: `Documentary sources indicate that Abernethy, situated near the confluence of the Tay and the Earn was one of the principal ecclesiastical sites of early medieval Scotland. The name, significantly, is P-Celtic, attested in the Pictish Chronicle as Abur-nethige. .. Though Abernethy appears to have been marginalized after the elevation of Dunkeld, it remained an important and wealthy ecclesiastical centre. By the early twelfth century the house there consisted of a community of celí dé with a number of ordinary clerici'.