GLOW@University of Oslo
8 May 2019
(1) Just oneF cat is in the room.
⇒ ¬(n cats are in the room), for each number n > 1
(2) Only AndyF is in the room.
⇒ ¬(x is in the room), for each person x who's not Andy
(3) Just oneF cat makes me happy.
⇒ any number of cats makes me happy
(4) ??Only oneF cat makes me happy.
Even introduces two presuppositions based on focus alternatives (Karttunen & Peters 1979, Crnič 2012, a.o.).
A train to Croydon costs more than £10⇒c A train to Brighton costs more than £10
with a scale of (relevant) cities ordered by distance from London, for example.
(33) Just oneF cat made me happy.
(34) Even just oneF cat made me happy.