Intelligent Social Systems Lab
The research focus of the lab is on sensing, modelling, understanding and predicting human behaviour in space and time, at different scales, using the “digital traces” we generate daily in our online and offline lives. More specifically, I am interested in developing mathematical and computational models as well as implementing real-world systems based on them. This work has applications in a variety of domains, such as 1) the design of intelligent systems, in particular ubiquitous computing systems and networked systems; 2) healthcare (with a current focus on mental health); 3) security&privacy; and 4) data science for “social good”.
Areas of Interest
Current areas of interest of the lab include:
- Computational and mathematical modelling of human behaviour and social systems using mobile data and other digital sources (smartphone data, cellular network data, social media, user-generated content, etc.);
- Ubiquitous computing;
- Networked systems and network science (with a particular focus on social networks and spatio-temporal networks);
- Applied machine learning;
- Digital health;
- Data science for social good;
Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Abhinav Mehrotra working on the EPSRC-funded UPRISE-IoT project.
As First Supervisor:
- Beatrice Perez (second supervisor: Gianluca Stringhini)
- Theofania (Fani) Tsapeli (second supervisor: Peter Tino)
- Mariflor Vega (second supervisor: Ioanna Manolopoulou)
As Second Supervisor:
- Adriano Bermudez-Villalva (first supervisor: Gianluca Stringhini)
- Kehinde Owoeye (first supervisor: Steve Hailes)
- Christoph Stich (first supervisor: Emmanouil Tranos)
Current Visiting PhD Student
- Paolo Bellagente (Visiting PhD Student from the University of Brescia, Italy).
Graduated PhD Students
Abhinav Mehrotra (Thesis title: “A Framework for Intelligent Mobile Notifications”). February 2017. First Supervisor. Now Postdoctoral Research Associate at UCL.
Previous Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Giovanni Quattrone (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2015 in the EPSRC-funded MACACO Project, now Lecturer at Middlesex University, United Kingdom).
- Matthew Williams (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2014-15 in the EU-funded “LASAGNE” Project, now Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Exeter, United Kingdom).
- Luca Rossi (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2013-2015 in the EPSRC-funded “The Uncertainty of Identity” Project, now Lecturer at Aston University, United Kingdom)
- Gillian Sandstrom (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2015 in the EPSRC-funded “Trajectory of Depression” Project, now Lecturer at the University of Essex, United Kingdom).
- Luca Canzian (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2014-15 in the EPSRC-funded “Trajectory of Depression” Project, now Radio Navigation Engineer at Quascom).
- Veljko Pejovic (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2012-2014 involved in the EPSRC-funded “UBhave” Project, now Assistant Professor at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia).
- Manlio De Domenico (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2012-2013 involved in the EPSRC-funded “The Uncertainty of Identity” Project, now Postdoctoral Research Associate at Universitat Rovira i Virgili in Tarragona, Spain).
Previous Visitors and Internees
- Ella Peltonen (Visiting PhD Student in Summer-Autumn 2016 from the University of Helsinki, Finland, now finishing her degree back in Helsinki).
- Christos Perentis (Visiting PhD Student from the University of Trento in Autumn-Winter 2015 from the University of Trento, now finishing his degree back in Italy).
- Cristina Segalin (Visiting PhD Student in Autumn-Winter 2014 from the University of Verona, now at Caltech, Pasadena, USA).
- Victor Darvariu (Undergraduate Summer Internee in Summer 2014, now finishing his degree in Computer Science at the University of Birmingham).
- James Klee (Undergraduate Summer Internee in Summer 2014, now finishing his degree in Computer Science at the University of Birmingham).
- Thiago Silva (Visiting PhD Student in Autumn 2013 from Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais - UFMG, Brazil, now Postdoctoral Research Fellow at UFMG).
- Demet Turan (Master Internee in Autumn 2013, now Software Research Engineer at Gent University).
- Paul Mougel (Visiting Student from INSA Lyon in Summer 2012, France, now CTO @365Talents).
Joining and Collaborating with the Lab
If you are interested in joining or collaborating with the lab please do not hesitate to contact me. You can find my contact details here.
Last updated: 27 May 2017.