Currently the Student Shadowing Scheme is unable to run due to the Covid-19 outbreak and social distancing measures.
The Student Shadowing Scheme is an exciting opportunity for students to come into UCL and experience what life is really like as an undergraduate student.
Students who attend will:
- Accompany a current undergraduate student to a lecture (and maybe a seminar or tutorial too) in a subject area that they are interested in;
- Be taken on a tour of the UCL campus;
- Be able to chat with a current student about life at university;
- Receive information about well-being and/or financial support available while studying at UCL.
The shadowing day is free, and lunch will be provided. It is sometimes possible to cover travel costs: please contact us for more information.
Shadowing days are scheduled for a weekday between October and March (excluding Christmas holidays, reading weeks, and public holidays). Timings can vary depending on the subject you wish to shadow and the availability of our support staff, but generally shadowing days run from 10-2pm or 11-3pm. If successful in your application, we will liaise with you and our undergraduate students to find a suitable day for you to visit - it is likely that you will have to request time off from school or college.
This scheme is open to students who are currently studying or have completed a Level 3 qualification which would enable them to apply to UCL (for example A levels, BTECs, or Access to Higher Education Diploma), and are studying or studied at a state-funded school or college.
In addition, you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- are a disabled student;
- are a young carer;
- are a forced migrant (e.g. refugee or asylum seeker);
- are estranged from parent(s);
- currently live or have lived in local authority care;
- will be a mature student.
Please note that you must also be on track to meet UCL's academic entry requirements for undergraduate entry: please see our general eligibility criteria for more information.
As part of the application form, we will ask for the subject area you are interested in. The subject areas to choose from are:
- Life Sciences;
- Maths and Physical Sciences;
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
We will ask you for the degree subject you are interested in too, so please have a look at our prospectus to see what UCL offers.
Please note that whilst we will do our best to match you with an undergraduate student who is studying a subject that you are interested in pursuing at university, this may not always be possible.
Applications for shadowing are closed.
Please note that we are no longer scheduling shadowing visits due to the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak and social distancing measures.