Every year, UCL runs a number of Non-Residential Summer Schools for Year 12 students attending state schools. They aim to give students a taste of university life and the degree programmes we offer.
To express your interest in our 2020 Non-Residential Summer Schools programme, please complete this short online form. We will email you with more information as soon as applications open in January.
Non-Residential Summer Schools 2020
Non-Residential Summer Schools are a great way to experience university life and study a subject in more depth without having to stay on campus each night. They usually run from Monday to Friday, and usually from 10am - 4pm (this may vary across different subjects)
UCL will be running the following subjects as Non-Residential Summer Schools in July and August 2020:
- Integrated Engineering Programme
- Psychology and Language Sciences
- Space and Climate Physics (Mullard Space Science Laboratory)
- Sports and Exercise Sciences
- UCL Special Collections
Applications open on Wednesday 8th January and close on Tuesday 3rd March 2020.
- For Non-Residential Summer Schools, you must usually live in London, or be able to commute to UCL each day. We can help with travel costs to cover your travel to campus. Any field/museum trips during the Non-Residential Summer School will also be covered.
- To apply for our programmes, you must meet certain eligibility criteria.
- Part of the application form will require you to enter some information about your parent or guardian. Please make sure they are around when you are completing the form to give you this information.
- You will also need to give the details of a teacher who can provide an academic reference to support your application. Please make sure you select a teacher who knows you (and tell them they are your referee). If we do not receive the reference from your teacher we will be unable to consider you for a place.
Frequently asked questions
Do I have to pay for these summer schools?
No! Non-Residential Summer Schools are completely free. This includes your lunch, snacks, and any resources you need/travel you may need to do as part of the course during the week.
Do I have to stay overnight at the non-residential summer school?
No accommodation is available as part of the Non-Residential Summer Schools.
Can my friend/family member take part too?
Only applicants who applied through our system and have been notified that they have a place on the Summer School can attend.
I'm not from London, can I take part?
Applicants must usually be from London, or areas that are easily commutable (e.g. Kent, Essex, etc.). Some applicants also stay with relatives/friends in London for the duration of the Non-Residential Summer School. We are unable to offer any accommodation as part of the Non-Residential Summer Schools and cannot contribute any accommodation costs for families/participants. However, we can help with travel costs for participants.
When will I hear if I have a place?
We aim to notify students of their outcome in early May but this varies for each subject. If any subject application deadlines are extended we will email existing applicants to let them know any new deadline dates. We usually shortlist around 7000 applications for our various activities, so it can take a long time. Please be patient, and rest assured that you will be notified whatever your outcome. Please do not email to ask about the status of your application, as this slows down shortlisting significantly.
If your question hasn't been answered, please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.