The Discover UCL Online Summer School is an exciting opportunity exclusively for D/deaf and hard of hearing students in year 11 and year 12.
The summer school will run from Tuesday 11th August until Friday 14th August 2020 and will give you the chance to find out more about UCL and life at university. Applications are now closed.
- The summer school is only for D/deaf or hard of hearing students.
- The summer school is free to attend.
- The summer school is all online so you can participate from wherever you are.
- There are 15 spaces available for year 11 and year 12 students.
About the programme
The Discover UCL Summer School is an exciting opportunity exclusively for D/deaf and hard of hearing students in year 11 and year 12.
The summer school will consist of a variety of advice and guidance sessions that will help to prepare you for applying to university, writing a personal statement and navigating the UCAS process. You'll also get the chance to learn like a university student, be challenged academically as well as get help to identify the support available at university for D/deaf and Hard of Hearing students.
Although the programme will be running online this year, you can find out more here what students have done in previous years on the programme.
UCL will provide specialised support including BSL Interpreters for the duration of the summer school. Due to the high level of support provided there will be a limited number of places.
How to Apply
Applications for Discover UCL are now closed.
Before completing the application form you will need to obtain the contact details of a teacher who can supply a reference for you. The deadline for teacher references is 11.59pm on Friday 26th June. Please not that we can only accept applications with a completed teacher reference.
You will also need to supply information about your parents/carers, so we recommend that you complete this form with them present.
The programme is being delivered in collaboration with The Deafness Cognition and Language (DCAL) Centre, based at UCL. You can find out more about DCAL on the UCL website.
- The Discover UCL Summer School is open to D/deaf or hard of hearing students (home UK only), currently studying in year 11 or year 12 at maintained schools or colleges in the UK.
- Entry requirements for year 11 students: you must be on track to achieve a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A*-C or equivalent.
- Entry requirements for year 12 students: you must have achieved a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A*-C and be currently studying A levels, IB, BTEC, or equivalent qualifications.
- Please note that if the summer school is oversubscribed we will use our eligibility criteria to shortlist participants.