- UCLIC New Website
- MSc Open Evening - 8th May 2013
- Funded PhD Studentships
- SEMINAR: Computational User Interface Design - Antti Oulasvirta
- SEMINAR 15th May: Charlene Jennett and Sheila Pontis
- SEMINAR 12th June: Simon Li - Human Error Detection in Medical Devices and Procedures
- Standing Up for Science: UCLIC PhD Student Sarah Wiseman in EPSRC Magazine
- Watchdog - UCLIC student Sarah Wiseman gives expert opinion
- Congratulations! First UCLIC EngD student passes viva
- Two fully funded PhD studentships in Human-Computer Interaction
- SEMINAR 9th July: Steve Gill - Holistic design: Why so many computer-embedded products in the world aren't designed for people and what might we do to change that?
- SEMINAR 10th July: Marcus Foth - New Design Opportunities of Next Generation Screens for Participation and Engagement
- Society Minds - Technology Doesn't: Yvonne Rogers TEDx Barcelona talk now available online
- UCLIC student talks at UCL event to shape drug therapy for older patients
- Staff News - Promotions and New UCLICkers
- SEMINAR 22nd August: Scinob Kuroki - Temporal Illusions in Touch
- Congratulations! UCLIC student wins IEHF award
- Community graffiti project hits news!
- SEMINAR 11th Sep: Sarah Renouf - Responses of hazardous and harmful drinkers to an interactive online intervention: A think-aloud study
- ACII'13 Best Paper Award
- SEMINAR 26th Sep: Monica Tentori - Behaviour-Aware Computing
- Applications open for funded PhD at UCLIC - Deadline 1st November
- SEMINAR 2nd October: Chi Thanh Vi - Detecting Error-Related Negativity for Interaction Design
- SEMINAR 16th October: Jason Alexander - Shape-changing Displays: The next revolution in display technology?
- SEMINAR 23rd October: Anne Roudaut - Toward Shape-Changing Mobile Devices
- Mistakes Win Prizes in New Competition
- SEMINAR 30th October: James Eagan - Making Software Softer: Enriching the Human-Software Interface
- Read all about it! UCLIC featured in this month's ACM Interactions magazine
- SEMINAR 13th Nov: Michael Terry: Google Knows What You Hate About Your Kindle: Using Search Queries to Infer User Needs and Desires in Consumer Products
- SEMINAR 20th Nov: Mark Perry - AutoMedia: family life, interaction and media use in the car
- SEMINAR 4th Dec: Amanda Carr: Digital infants: Very young children’s interaction with touch screen technology
- Job: Research Associate in Human-computer Interaction - deadline 3rd Jan 2014
- JOB - Research Associate/Senior Research Associate in Ubiquitous Computing and Interaction Design - closing date 7th Jan 2014
- Persuasive Games Competition - Calling all student Games Designers!
- SEMINAR 22nd Jan: Emanuela Marchetti - Experiencing Historical Processes: Museum learning practice and digital technologies
- UCLIC researcher in New Scientist: Motion-captured laughs make animations more amusing
- Funded Studentship
- Funded Demonstratorship
- SEMINAR 5th Feb: Connie Golsteijn - Integrating physical and digital craft in hybrid craft practice
- Software Engineer position
- SEMINAR 12th Feb - Alistair Sutcliffe: The SAMS project (Software Architecture for Mental health Self management): Designing Effective UIs for Affect Laden Applications
- Engd/Phd studentship on Media Multitasking
- SEMINAR 26th Feb: Clara Manicini - Animal-Computer Interaction: Designing for Multispecies Ecologies
- SEMINAR 5th March: Andreas Lieberoth: In search of quantum heroes - design challenges and early findings from the citizen cybescience physics game Quantum Moves
- HCI-E MSc Project Wins Prize
- Funded PhD Studentship on Smart Meters
- SEMINAR 12th March: Miguel Nacenta - Playing with representation, presentation, and perception: three ways to subvert current visualization techniques
- SEMINAR 19th March: Andrew Kun - In-vehicle user interfaces: deployment, and driving simulator studies at UNH
- UCL SLMS Grand Challenges studentship
- SEMINAR 2nd April: Chris Priest and Elaine Massung: Motivating Crowdsourcing for Community Campaigns
- SEMINAR 9th April: Nick Taylor - Towards Sustainable Community Innovation
- Special Joint IOE London Knowledge Lab/UCL Computer Science Seminar
- SEMINAR 14th May: Tony Stockman: Cross-modal collaborative interaction between visually-impaired and sighted users in the workplace
- Current PhD opportunitites at UCLIC
- UCLIC Newsletter 2014
- SEMINAR 21st May: Alexandra Lang - Designing technologies for teenage health lifestyles
- SEMINAR 29th May: Marianna Obrist - Multi-Sensory Experiences: How we experience the world and how we design technology
- SEMINAR 4th June: Jon Whittle & Gillian Symon - Multi-Sensory Experiences: Exploring Work-Life Balance in a Digital World
- PhD studentship closing date extended
- SEMINAR 13th Nov: Caroline Jay - Attention approximation: From the Web to Multi-Screen Television
- Congratulations! Recent UCLIC PhD finishers
- "Fieldwork for Healthcare" Book Launch Competition: 5 copies of Volume 1 to give away!
- ICRI and UCLIC at Tour de France with Vox Box!
- SEMINAR 9th July - Madhu Reddy: The Challenges of Designing Health Information Technology: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
- Research Associate position on ECLIPSE project
- Welcome to new PhD students!
- SEMINAR 1st October - Duncan Brumby: Improving the everyday interactions with your phone, and maybe medical devices too
- SEMINAR 8th Oct: Katja Hofmann - Microsoft Research
- SEMINAR 15th October: Rebecca Fiebrink. Interactive Machine Learning for End-User Systems building in Music Composition and Performance
- SEMINAR 22nd October: Robert J.K. Jacob - Reality-Based Interaction, Next Generation User Interfaces, and Brain-Computer Interfaces.
- SEMINAR 29th Oct: Neil Maiden - Computer Science Research to Support the Residential Care of Older People with Dementia
- SEMINAR 12th November - Carolyn Canfield:Experience based co-design for system transformation led by older persons moving in, out of and across Ontario’s healthcare system
- SEMINAR 3rd Dec: Mark Sujan - Studies of Resilience in Healthcare: Clinical Handover and Organisational Learning
- Radio: Yvonne Rogers on Smart Cities
- Magic Shoes: UCLIC Researcher Ana Tajadura-Jimeneze discusses her research with New Scientist
- Welcome new starters
- SEMINAR 14th Jan: Tom Rodden - Unremarkable infrastructures: From Home Networks to Smart Grids
- SEMINAR 21st Jan: John Rooksby – Mobile Devices in Everyday Use
- UCL at CHI 2015
- PhD opportunity at UCLIC
- SEMINAR 4th Feb: Petr Slovak – Supporting learning of social and emotional skills by digital technology [CANCELLED]
- SEMINAR 11th Feb: Kristina Höök - Designing for Somaesthetics
- SEMINAR 18th Feb: Tony Easty - The Development of a Human Factors-Informed Approach to Improving Health Care Safety in Canada
- SEMINAR 4th March: Saskia Bakker - Design for Peripheral Interaction
- MSc Teaching Administrator advert
- UCLIC papers Honourable Mentions at CHI 2015
- SEMINAR 11th March: Raymond Bond - Human Computer Interaction in Healthcare: Current Work and Opportunities
- SEMINAR 18th March: Danaë Stanton Fraser - Towards humans and robots in public space
- UCLICers win PALS Green Impact Awards
- SEMINAR 24th March: Mike Byrne - The Butterfly Legacy: How badly-designed voting systems are as much a threat to election integrity as fraud and hacking
- SEMINAR 25th March: Ben Cowan - Lexical alignment in human-computer communication: Audience Design or Priming?
- SEMINAR 15th April: Joint eHealth/UCLIC seminar - Enhancing engagement with digital interventions
- UCLIC have moved!
- Awards for UCLIC alumni
- UCLIC Teaching Administrator
- SEMINAR 29th April: Ronald Poppe - Hands off! Playing games with your body
- SEMINAR 5th May: Wally Smith - What stage magic reveals about our interactions with technology
- SEMINAR 6th May: Petr Slovak - Supporting learning of social and emotional skills by digital technology
- SEMINAR 13th May: Jenny Bunn - Building an Interdisciplinary View of Personal Digital Archiving
- UCLICers nominated for UCLU teaching awards
- SEMINAR 20th May: Asimina Vasalou - Participatory Design with Children: Shedding Light on How Children Can Influence Technology Design
- Student Green Technology Competition!
- Welcome new students!
- SEMINAR 3th June: Kathrin Gerling - Understanding Vulnerability at Play: Exploring Games for and with Audiences with Special Needs
- Two PhD Studentships in UCLIC!
- SEMINAR 19th June: Rafael Calvo - Positive Computing: Technologies for psychological wellbeing and human potential
- SEMINAR 1st July: Gloria Mark - Precision Tracking of Digital Activity in situ: Patterns in Attention Focus, Mood and Stress
- Welcome to Jo Pearson, our new Teaching Adminstrator!
- Opportunities in UCLIC!
- Congratulations! Aneesha Singh finalist at People Driven Digital unAwards
- Academic Promotions UCLIC
- SEMINAR 4th September: Thomas Gable & Bruce Walker - This is How We Roll: HCI Driving Research in the Sonification Lab
- SEMINAR 23th September: Ted White - How mobile phones affect the sustainability of the work/life balance of their users
- Student Green Technology Competition update!
- SEMINAR 7th October: Joseph Giacomin - Human Centred Design: a business paradigm for 21st century enterprise
- Welcome new PhD students!
- SEMINAR 14th October: Fraser Allison - User Experiences of Voice Interaction in Games: Identity, Power and Control
- [CANCELLED] 21th October: M.C. Schraefel - Future Athlete vs Future Invalid: how Performance vs Prevention Make a (POTENTIALLY profound) Difference for Health
- Congratulations Judith!
- SEMINAR 28th Oct: Robb Mitchell – Design Patterns for Social Icebreaking
- SEMINAR 19th Nov: Sylvain Malacria and Nicolas Roussel – Mjolnir: Computing tools to empower users
- SEMINAR 25th Nov: Joel Fischer – Appropriate ‘intelligent' systems for the real world
- SEMINAR 2nd Dec: Jo Pugh – Here be dragons: information seeking in digital heritage collections
- SEMINAR 9th Dec: Christoph Pimmer –From cognition to identity development: the multi-faceted affordances of digital media for health professionals
- SEMINAR 13th Jan: Adrian Friday – A role for ICT toward Sustainable Futures?
- UCL will have a great presence at CHI 2016
- Successful outcome for the UCLIC/CIEHF Campaign for Real People!
- SEMINAR 20th Jan: Andrew Manches – Interaction, Embodiment and Technologies in Early Learning
- ICRI researchers launch new app Likeways
- SEMINAR 3rd Feb: m.c. schraefel – Aspiration Aligned Performance Rather than Prevention-focussed Approaches for Health & Wellbeing with Future Athlete vs Future Invalid & Experiment in a Box
- SEMINAR 10th Feb: Sriram Subramanian – Shape of Things to Come
- Yvonne Rogers HCI Pioneer
SEMINAR 16th October: Jason Alexander - Shape-changing Displays: The next revolution in display technology?
15 October 2013
Wednesday 16th October 2013 at 3pm in B32, Gordon Square (26)
Our speaker this week is Jason Alexander from Lancaster University
Shape-changing interfaces physically mutate their visual display surface
to better represent on-screen content, provide an additional information
channel, and facilitate tangible interaction with digital content. This
talk will preview the current state-of-the art in shape-changing
displays, discuss our current work in this area, and explore the grand
challenges in this field. The talk will include a hardware demonstration
of one such shape-changing device, a Tilt Display.
For more information about this and other Seminars - please see our Seminar Pages
Page last modified on 15 oct 13 12:40 by Rowanne Fleck