- This week (25th-29th March) we will be demoing our "magic shoes" at the Science Museum, as part of the "You Have Been Upgraded" event, a festival of human enhancement.
- On Saturday 14th June we demoed our "sonic shoes" to grade 9 students, as part of the Royal Institution UCL Computer Science Masterclass series
- Our paper on walking sounds received an Honourable Mention award at CHI 2015! You can download the paper here
- Listen about the Hearing Body in Spanish in Radio Caracol Miami
- Watch the program on Embodiment on Spanish TVE2 (only for Spanish speakers)
- The Telegraph and Mail Online have covered the Hearing Body Project.
- Listen about the Hearing Body project on BBC Radio 4
- Feature in New Scientist on The Hearing Body project.
- The Hearing Body Project in UCL news.
- The Hearing Body project will be exhibited as part of our event "Putting people at the centre of digital health", at the UCL Festival for Digital Health. Everybody welcome! Don't forget to reserve your place.
- 11th-14th June: I will be presenting the Hearing Body project at the 15th International Multisensory Research Forum (IMRF), Amsterdam.
- On 9th June 2004 the Hearing Body project will be discussed at the Super-feelers workshop, London Royal College of Arts
- On 10th December 2013 Furfaro et al. paper will be presented at the Interactive Sonification Workshop (ISon 2013)
- 7th Oct 2013: Research on The Hearing Body moves for two months to the NTT Communication Science Laboratories, Japan.
- 4th Sep 2013: Experiments running next week! If you are interested in taking part, please contact a.tajadura [at] ucl.ac.uk
- June 9th to 15th, 2013: I will be presenting the Hearing Body project at the interdisciplinary summer school on “Embodied Inter-subjectivity : the 1st person and the 2nd person perspective” at the Island of Aegina, Greece
- 14th-15th May: I will be presenting the Hearing Body project at the workshop "Close to my body: Multisensory perspectives on peripersonal space" at the Institute of Philosophy, London
- 7th-10th April: I will be presenting the Hearing Body project at BNA 2013 Festival of Neuroscience, taking place at Barbican London. We will be demonstrating body illusions at the Barbican Foyers as part of the Wonder: Street Fair. Everybody is welcome to come and experience them!
- On 14th March 2013 a seminar on The Hearing Body Project will take place at Brunel Human Centre Design Institute.
The Hearing Body project is a project leaded by Dr Ana Tajadura-Jimenez and funded by an ESRC Future Research Leader Fellowship. In this project I am investigating how auditory information generated by our bodies updates body-representation. This mental representation wehave of our bodies is essential for successful interaction with the environment. The representation is not fixed, but is continuously updated in response to the available sensory information. While previous studies have highlighted the role of vision, touch and proprioception in constructing the body-representation in the brain, the role of auditory information remains largely unknown. Interestingly, the sounds that accompany almost every bodily movement are highly rich in information about the body and the space immediately surrounding it. For instance, the sounds produced when tapping on a surface inform us about the length and strength of our arm.
A series of psychological experiments are being carried out in order to explore how altering self-produced sounds in real-time changes different body-representations, including the representation of the space surrounding the body, the potential actions that we can perform and the emotional states linked to our body capabilities. This multidisciplinary and innovative research project will provide novel insights into the nature of body-representations and, ultimately, guide the design of audio-based applications that can improve body-image, self-esteem, movement patterns and social interactions to support well-being and rehabilitation for people with movement impairments.
For more information please contact a.tajadura [at] ucl.ac.uk
For a list of publications related to the project click here
- Photo by Antonio Caballero
Page last modified on 31 jul 14 19:13 by Ana Tajadura Jimenez