Jewish Historical Studies: Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England
Edited by Michael Berkowitz | Published Annually
Format: Open Access journal
To sign up for emails about this journal, click here.
About the journal
First published in 1893, Jewish Historical Studies: Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England is known to many as Transactions. The journal aims to serve as a leading forum for Anglo-Jewish historiography, as well as comparative and multi-site work that integrates English-speaking Jews in its approach.
In addition to scholarly articles, the journal includes contributions that derive from presentations to the Society. The journal will also publish contributions to Jewish history, reflecting the interests and concerns of the parent body, the JHSE, as well as the Society’s annual Presidential Address.
About the editor
Michael Berkowitz is General Editor of Jewish Historical Studies and Professor of Modern Jewish History at UCL. Prior to joining UCL, he taught at the University of Chicago, Ohio State University, and the University of Judaism.
Table of Contents
- Volume 47
Articles in vol. 47 (January 2016) include:
- Following David Cesarani (1956–2015): A Personal Reflection
- David Cesarani (1956–2015)
- A commentary on Dan Jacobson's Holocaust writings
- Mission and missionaries among the Jews in nineteenth-century Europe: introduction to symposium papers
- Christian Restorationism in Ireland in the early nineteenth century: the strange case of Miss Marianne Nevill
- Towards a preliminary portrait of an evangelical missionary to the Jews: the many faces of Alexander McCaul (1799–1863)
- Evangelical Protestants, Jews, and the Epistle to the Hebrews in mid-nineteenth-century Britain
- Evangelicals, Jews, and anti-Catholicism in Britain, c.1840–1900
- "Jessey the Educator" and "Jessey the Jew": Henry Jessey, Hebraism, and Puritan pedagogy in seventeenth-century England
- The "inhibition" of Morris Joseph: authority and change in late Victorian Anglo-Jewry
- The quick demise of a nineteenth-century Jewish hospital in London
- Jewish heritage in Scotland
- Royal Jews: Jewish Life in Berkshire from the Readmission till Today
- The Jews of South Wales
- Britain's Moment in Palestine: Retrospect and Perspectives 1917–1948
- Israel Isidor Mattuck: Architect of Liberal Judaism
- Dr Robin Mundill, 1958–2015
- Contributors to this volume