Size and location
- UCL East will be located on the Olympic Park, to the south of the Aquatics Centre and the ArcelorMittal Orbit
- The UCL East site is spread across 4.63 hectares and will comprise up to 180,000 sqm gross internal area (GIA) of development, including academic development and research space, student accommodation, and retail uses
- In its entirety, it consists of three development sites: two east of Waterworks River (currently referred to as Pool Street East and Pool Street West), and the third immediately south of the ArcelorMittal Orbit and South Plaza (currently referred to as Marshgate)
- For more detail, please see 'The buildings' area of this website
- The UCL East programme will be delivered in phases as part of an overarching "masterplan"
- Construction of UCL East Phase 1 will start in 2019. The first building expected to be completed in time for the start of the 2021 academic year. The second building will have a phased opening, starting in September 2022.
- Phase 1 will comprise around 50,000 sqm of development, including approximately 500 bed spaces for student accommodation
- Initial modelling suggests that, when Phase 1 is fully operational, there will be approximately 4,000 students and 260 academic staff. For more detail, please see 'The buildings' area of this website
- The Olympic Park is served well by public transport, with a number of connections within walking distance. The closest stations to the Park are: Hackney Wick; Pudding Mill Lane; Stratford; and Stratford International. These provide access to the Underground, Overground, DLR, high speed rail and future Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) services, with onward links to major London terminals and a number of airports
- The UCL East site is located closest to the Stratford and Pudding Mill Lane stations. In addition, Crossrail will serve Stratford from 2018
- Bus services are also readily available
- It is 7 minutes on the South Eastern Javelin service from St Pancras to Stratford International, and 18 minutes from Tottenham Court Road to Stratford on the Central Line. These transport links will further improve with the arrival of the Elizabeth Line (Crossrail). It is also approximately a 40 minute cycle between the Bloomsbury campus and the Olympic Park campus
- For more detail, please see the 'Location' area of this website