The B&IG provides strategic support across UCL, to enhance the translation of biomedical research across all therapeutic modalities, through collaboration with stakeholders in the Healthcare sector.
Our activities are focussed around brokering interactions for UCL academics with industry, to identify and create new collaboration opportunities and assist academics in forming bespoke partnerships. We do this through:
- A comprehensive analysis of UCL research with a focus on translational research, industrial income and associated trends per SLMS faculty, division, theme, therapeutic area and technology.
- Global understanding of the external market: needs; players; forecasts; main technology drivers; barriers to implementation; and key stakeholders (investors and regulators).
- Long-term support to UCL SLMS Divisions and Faculties for promoting innovation and business opportunities.
- Strategic support and implementation of the Therapeutic Innovation Networks.
- Application and pre-award support for Public-industry dual funding schemes.
- Academic-led new-business development.
- Acceleration of innovation through coordination and internal liaison with UCL Professional Services for business relationship initiation, development and contract management.
We support UCL's translational research strategy through mapping internal research capabilities, building multidisciplinary translational research communities and aligning those internal strengths with unmet market needs. Therapeutic Innovation Networks such as Cell, Gene & Regenerative Medicine, Small Molecules, Biologics, Devices and Diagnostics are key areas of focus supported by the B&IG.