Student engagement templates and guides can help you connect with students in your department or area of work.
These guides can help open conversations with your students, but each department has its own culture and student community so varied approaches are very welcome.
Contents of this page:
- Survey policy and guides
- Guidance on focus groups
- 'Closing the loop' on feedback (You Shaped UCL)
- Student Opportunities A6 flyer
You Shaped UCL: close-the-loop campaign templates
These materials are designed to link to a wider institutional campaign on how student views and ideas are shaping education at UCL.
You can request You Shaped UCL materials to promote changes in your department that have been inspired by student feedback.
Using the online order form, you can order:
- Editable templates for A3 and A4 posters
- Editable templates for digital screens
- Images to embed in email signatures (examples below)
- Email signatures and web banners
You can use these to link to further information on Moodle or on a web page about how student views and ideas have been used.
If you're looking to gather qualitative feedback, you can organise focus group sessions for students.
These sessions are useful for understanding the reasons behind preferences and exploring participants' reactions to the topic under discussion.
Student survey policy and guidance
UCLs survey policy states that no large-scale surveys of students should be conducted without prior agreement from the Office of the Vice-Provost (Education and Student Affairs).
This does not include small-scale surveys (for instance of all the students in your department) but would cover, for example, a survey of all study abroad students.
The comprehensive survey guide is a great starting point if you have not run a survey before or if you would like to improve your future surveys. The guide contains information on:
- Basic survey principles – things to consider before running a survey
- Available survey software – options to run surveys
- Survey design best practices – survey length, style, scales
- Response rates – representativeness, margin of error and how to increase your rates
- Survey links – controlling survey access
Please note that in line with UCL’s Survey Policy, no institution-wide survey should take place at the same time as any of our annual student surveys. For more information, please read the survey policy or contact us.
UCL student opportunities flyer
Staff can order a double-sided A6 postcard flyer to promote the various opportunities available to students.
These opportunities include the ChangeMakers scheme, Student Experience Panel and Student Academic Representatives.
Order the printed Student Opportunities postcard flyer via our ordering teaching resources web page.