On 1 April, former BBC Open University video producer Jack Koumi will demonstrate how to make the best use of video in teaching. More...
Published: Mar 13, 2014 1:50:08 PM
Be inspired by the latest advances in education by attending UCL’s annual celebration of teaching. More...
Published: Mar 7, 2014 9:44:07 AM
Get a practical introduction to the new CPD and Short Courses Toolkit by attending a series of four linked lunchtime workshops. More...
Published: Mar 4, 2014 9:44:29 AM
Following on from the success of last year's Summits and Horizons series of events, there will be a new portfolio of sessions for this academic year. The event, a joint venture between CALT and E-LE, is a series of lunchtime events looking at new e-learning in UCL in which two or three speakers discuss how they've used new technologies in their teaching. More...
Published: Oct 21, 2013 1:12:07 PM
The Bartlett is providing postgrads with vital graphics skills before they arrive at UCL via the Urban Skills Portal.
Workshop on scenario-based learning in Engineering announced
25 February 2013
The next event in the Faculty of Engineering’s series of lunchtime teaching workshops is being held on Thursday 7 March and will focus on scenario-based learning.
Active learning techniques such as problem-based learning (which can include scenarios) have been shown to be very effective in engaging students, helping them conceptualise engineering principles as well as encouraging a range of teamwork and communications skills.
Scenario-based learning is a teaching technique which the Integrated Engineering Programme (IEP) will be looking to make further use of throughout the faculty. This workshop will look at three case studies from different departments with the aim of leaving plenty of time for discussion and debate.
The session will feature the following presentations:
- What we've learnt from seven years of scenarios – Paul Greening, Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
- Scenarios: learning by doing – Benn Thomsen, Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Problem-based learning approaches to apps development – Dean Mohamedally, Computer Science
The scenario-based learning lunchtime workshop will be held on Thursday 7 March at 1pm in Roberts Room 422. Please feel free to bring lunch; drinks will be provided.
Videos from previous talks are available to view on the UCL Teaching Youtube channel.
If you have any queries, please email John Mitchell: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other events of potential interest include:
- Social media for academic purposes (part of the CALT/ELE Summits and Horizons series) – Wednesday 13 March, 1.05-1.55pm, Denys Holland Lecture Theatre
- Perspectives on learning and teaching, virtual and visible: blended learning – Friday 15 March, 2-3pm, Rockefeller 337 (please register via STBS)
- Using NI LabView in teaching – Thursday 21 March, 1-2pm, Roberts 422
- Incorporating computational techniques into the curricula with MATLAB – Tuesday 9 April, 2-4pm, room TBC
Page last modified on 25 feb 13 15:22
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email email@example.com