Developing as a PGT Supervisor, 13 September (in-person)
13 September 2023, 2:00 pm–3:30 pm
This session will introduce staff who supervise PGT projects and dissertations to tools for setting expectations and defining boundaries. It will also explore when you should seek support or guidance.
This event is free.
- UCL staff
UCL Arena Centre+44 20 7907 4625
Arena Room (1008), 10th Floor1-19 Torrington PlaceTorrington PlaceLondonWC1E 7HBUnited Kingdom
Wednesday 13 September 2023, 14:00 - 15:30 (in-person)
In this workshop we will:
- Explore how to establish a good relationship from the start
- explore setting expectations
- Consider managing boundaries and establishing ground rules
Participants who have completed this course/session will be able to:
- confidently conduct a first meeting with a new PGT supervisee and ensure that ground rules are established and expectations shared
- Identify strategies for monitoring progress, giving feedback and supporting student through the PGT project and/or dissertation
- demonstrate understanding of how PGT supervisory experience can be used to evidence your teaching experience
Participants will have the opportunity to make connections between both forms of supervision but should be mindful that our focus is PGT students and that many aspects of PGT supervision are unique to PGT contexts and are less relevant for research students. We offer a session called Developing as a Doctoral Supervisor where issues related to research students are discussed in greater depth.
Who should attend
Early career, mid career, PGT supervisors.