Neural circuits for sensory processing and sensory-guided behaviours
Our perception of the environment relies on information flow from the sensory organs to the brain. However, perception is also highly dependent on the context in which a given stimulus occurs, such as the sensory surround and the animal’s behavioural state, its intentions, expectations and actions. Such contextual signals can strongly modulate sensory responses and influence how sensory information is interpreted. Current research in the lab is mainly focused on understanding how different contextual signals are integrated with feed-forward visual information, how such signals emerge and by which pathways they are conveyed, especially focusing on thalamo-cortical and cortico-cortical interactions.
To study these questions we use a wide range of multi-disciplinary methods: in vivo two-photon imaging and other imaging approaches, extracellular and intracellular electrophysiological recordings, animal behaviour and circuit modelling, together with molecular and genetic approaches to identify different cell types, record and manipulate their function and trace specific pathways.
- Group Members
- Selected Publications
- Iacaruso MF, Gasler IT, Hofer SB. (2017) Synaptic organisation of visual space in primary visual cortex. Nature
- Khan AG, Poort J, Blot A, Mrsic-Flogel TD, Hofer SB. Learning changes the selectivity and interactions of GABAergic interneuron classes in visual cortex. (under review)
- Roth MM, Dahmen JC, Muir D, Imhof F, Martini FJ, Hofer SB (2016) Thalamic nuclei convey diverse contextual information to layer 1 of visual cortex. Nature Neuroscience, 19 (2): 299-307.
- Antolik J, Hofer SB, Bednar JA, Mrsic-Flogel TD (2016) Model Constrained by Visual Hierarchy Improves Prediction of Neural Responses to Natural Scenes. PLoS Comput Biol, 12 (6):e1004927.
- Poort J, Khan AG, Pachitariu M, Nemri A, Orsolic I, Krupic J, Bauza M, Sahani M, Keller GB, Mrsic-Flogel TD, Hofer SB (2015) Learning Enhances Sensory and Multiple Non-sensory Representations in Primary Visual Cortex. Neuron, 86 (6): 1478-1490.
- Okun M, Steinmetz N, Cossell L, Iacaruso MF, Ko H, Bartho P, Moore T, Hofer SB, Mrsic-Flogel TD, Carandini M, Harris KD. (2015) Diverse coupling of neurons to populations in sensory cortex. Nature 521 (7553): 511-515.
- Cossell L, Iacaruso MF, Muir DR, Houlton R, Sader EN, Ko H, Hofer SB, Mrsic-Flogel TD. (2015) Functional organization of excitatory synaptic strength in primary visual cortex. Nature, 518 (7539): 399-403.
- Ko H, Mrsic-Flogel TD, Hofer SB (2014) Emergence of feature-specific connectivity in cortical mircrocircuits in the the absence of visual experience. Journal of Neuroscience, 34 (29): 9812-9816.
- Ko H, Cossell L, Baragli C, Antolik J, Clopath C, Hofer SB*, Mrsic-Flogel TD* (2013) The emergence of functional microcircuits in visual cortex. Nature, 496 (7443): 96-100. *authors contributed equally to the work, corresponding authors.
- van Versendaal D, Rajendran R, Saiepour MH, Klooster J, Smit-Rigter L, Sommeijer JP, De Zeeuw CI, Hofer SB, Heimel JA, Levelt CN (2012) Elimination of inhibitory synapses is a major component of adult ocular dominance plasticity. Neuron, 74 (2): 374-383.