Join our Student Sustainability Ambassadors Programme to develop valuable leadership skills, make friends and create a meaningful impact on our campus and the planet!
Together we can make #ChangePossible.
Are you eager to enhance your sustainability skills and boost your CV? Want to meet likeminded students and make our campus greener? Our Ambassadors Programme connects you with fellow students and staff who share a passion for sustainability. Working together, you will develop innovative sustainability initiatives to inspire positive change across the campus and support your development as a sustainability leader.
How does the programme work?
We recruit passionate students, both undergraduate and postgraduate, who want to make change possible at UCL and develop skills in project management, sustainability, teamwork, communications, and leadership.
No prior knowledge of sustainability is required. Training will be provided on sustainability and behaviour change and students will be supported throughout the year with a member of staff. We want students to gain valuable experience which they can take into the world beyond UCL.
Students will receive a certificate and points on their Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) once they have completed 20 hours of volunteering. The programme will be starting in October 2023 and finishes in May 2024. The role is flexible, but Ambassadors must clearly communicate with their staff member their commitments ahead of the project and throughout, to ensure completion of the project.
Vegan food tasting, climate discussions and environmental movie screenings will be on offer for students to connect, share ideas and make friends!
What do Sustainability Ambassadors do?
Sustainability Ambassadors join staff members to assist them in making the university more sustainable. For some students this will be supporting staff teams to complete Green Impact, UCL's sustainability engagement programme, for others it will be working to implement sustainability projects for the SU, or UCL's food contractor CH&CO.
- Green Impact Sustainability Ambassador
Work with UCL staff to complete UCL’s Green Impact Programme to help make UCL departments more sustainable.
- Students' Union Sustainability Ambassador
Embed sustainability within the student community by preparing social media posts, news articles and producing reports for the Student’s Union.
- Food Sustainability Ambassador
Work with UCL’s catering providers to develop sustainable food initiatives.
- Education for Sustainable Development Ambassador
Work with UCL’s community of staff helping to embed sustainability into UCL’s curriculum, teaching and research.
- Climate Café Sustainability Ambassador
Create an open, inclusive space for people to get together to talk and act on climate change.
- Communications and Engagement Sustainability Ambassador
Help Sustainable UCL promote sustainability and create content through blogs, social media, and events such as COP28, Sustainability Week/Month, and the Annual Awards Ceremony.
What's in it for you?
- Develop your leadership and sustainability skills to boost your CV;
- Grow your network and connections with other likeminded students;
- Inspire the UCL community to create positive and meaningful change;
- Bring your ideas to create a better place for people and planet;
- Receive recognition for your achievements;
- Help make change possible, so that UCL can continue to be a leader in sustainability across the Higher Education sector;
- Make friends and have fun!
How can I apply?
All UCL students, both undergraduates and postgraduates, can apply to be a student ambassador. Previous sustainability knowledge and experience isn't necessary; however, it is a competitive programme, and applicants will be scored on their commitment and passion for sustainability.
We believe that diversity is at the heart of sustainability. We’re looking for individuals who bring a rich tapestry of experiences and perspectives, because we understand that tackling global environmental challenges requires a diverse approach. Whether you're passionate about climate change, conservation, social equity, or just curious about how you can contribute to a more sustainable future, we welcome your application. We are committed to equality of opportunity, to being fair and inclusive, and to being a place where we all belong.
Students can apply by filling out the application form below:
Once all applications have been received, successful applicants will be notified by Wednesday 18th October 2023.
Please be aware that if you are successful, you will be required to attend one of the in-person training sessions on:
Tuesday 24th October 2023 at 5–6:30pm; or,
Wednesday 25th October 2023 at 3–4:30pm.
- An interest in sustainability issues (a knowledge of this area is preferable but not essential);
- Enthusiasm and motivation to make a difference;
- Good organisational skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Confidence in using own initiative and being a proactive self-starter;
- A commitment to UCL's sustainability aims.
- 20 hours, equivalent to 1 hour a week over six months: November – May;
- Initial 2-hour training workshop in October;
- 1 day in May for Green Impact Auditing.