- Promote sustainability through your website
If your department has its own webpage, why not add a 'Sustainability Page' containing information on what the department is doing to reduce its own environmental impacts. It should include:
- Links to Sustainable UCL webpage
- Your departments own sustainability policy or commitment
- Contact details for the Departmental Environment Officer, Green Champion and/or committee
Best practice examples:
- Do Nation
Use Do Nation to help people in your department make small behaviour changes that add up to make the world healthier, happier and more sustainable. To get involved, simply:
- Have a look at the Do Nation actions and choose your top 5.
- Share the link and get as many people as you can to pledge an action!
- Get sustainability into job descriptions
By including environmental good-practice into job descriptions, it helps create culture change as new staff will be on board with environmental issues from their first day. It can also help to attract greener staff to apply for jobs in the department. Create your own statement or use the following statement:
"The staff member has a responsibility to carry out their duties in a resource efficient way and actively support UCL’s Sustainability Strategy, policies and objectives within the remit of their role."
Your HR rep should be able to include it into all new job descriptions.
- Add Sustainability into your inductions
Please use our text to communicate sustainability in your staff inductions.
Departmental sustainability inductions are a good way of talking about what you are doing and recruiting students. We have created slides so that you can undertake these presentations.
- Examples of Engagement Activities
- Host a Sustainability Workshop in your Department or Faculty
Invite the Sustainable UCL team to co-host a departmental workshop to develop a sustainability plan. It is good to invite everyone but ensure academics, professional staff and students are present.
- It is best to get senior approval so they can ensure its mandatory for everyone to participate, or they promote it so maxium people attend.
- Once the workshop is done you can create a sustainability plan.
Download slides here.
- Create a Sustainability Plan for your department
Once you have held a sustainability workshop, you can create a sustainability plan or strategy. There is no right or wrong way of doing this and different departments have approached this in different ways. See some draft examples from our departments. Names have been taken out for privacy rights. These are work in progress documents. We will be uploading finalised plans in due course.
Departments can seek funding for Sustainability Projects. As a first point of call, departments should seek funding internally. Only then should teams consider seeking funding from Sustainable UCL. Teams can apply for up to £500 worth of funding from a £2,000 pot. Apply for funding by 01 December via this form: