Ethical and sustainable food sourcing
UCL and UCLU commit to using, selling and promoting Fairtrade products through all of our outlets and relevant activities.
10 January 2023
UCL and Students' Union UCL have a joint Fairtrade Policy.
> download UCL's Fairtrade Policy. (pdf)
Our Fairtrade Action Plan provides our aims and objectives to support Fairtrade and increase promotion, engagement and support throughout UCL.
> download Fairtrade Action Plan (pdf)
Sustainable Food Working Group
Sustainable UCL has established the UCL Sustainable Food Working Group, consisting of representatives from UCL caterers, the Sustainability Team, Students' Union UCL and Student Societies. The group leads on sustainable food projects, including Fairtrade promotion.
- Coffee – UCL’s house coffee is Cicculo, responsibly sourced, Fairtrade, dark roast coffee, made exclusively for UCL’s caterers CH&CO (Gather&Gather) by Union Roasted
- Bananas - All bananas sold are Fairtrade
- Tea – UCL’s tea is Fairtrade Clipper and Hope & Glory
- Chocolate – CH&CO stock Fairtrade chocolate from Tony's Choco Lonley, Seed & Bean, Maltesers and Divine, plus Cocoa Life dairy milk
- Hospitality - All tea, coffee and sugar served in hospitality (catered events), at UCL is Fairtrade. Fairtrade orange juice, apple juice and wine are also available.
- Clothing - The UCL Shop now stocks Global Organic Standard (GOTS) and Fairtrade clothing lines and CH&CO’s staff uniform are made from Fairtrade Cotton
2022 - The Fairtrade University and College Award
UCL and Students’ Union UCL jointly participate in the NUS Fairtrade University and College Award and following an audit in May 2022, UCL has achieved “Fairtrade University 1 star status”. This recognises UCL’s many different activities that take place to promote Fairtrade, including purchasing Fairtrade products, campaigning, teaching, research and outreach.
The award is valid for 2 years, until June 2024. UCL intends to develop further work and action plans in order to achieve 2-star award in 2024.
> UCL retains Fairtrade Award (July 2022)
> UCL Achieves Fairtrade University Award (June 2020)
> learn more about Fairtrade University and College Award
Every year, UCL co-ordinate with students and staff on a range of events to promote the Fairtrade campaign.
The Fairtrade Foundation supports anyone looking to run an event or campaign and you can find more information, inspiration and free resources on the Fairtrade Fortnight.
> See what we got up to for Fairtrade Fortnight 2022 at UCL
Conservation Society partnership
Sustainable UCL has worked with the Conservation Society to host a Fairtrade talk at one of their regular mini-conferences. The talk to addressed Fairtrade's role in biodiversity and agricultural sustainability. This was a collaborative project with UCL's caterers, Sodexo, and the Fairtrade Foundation itself.
Clothes Swap Shop
During term time, UCL hosts a monthly Clothes Swap Shop that raises awareness around the detrimental impacts of clothes production on the environment and the social inequalities in the industry.
Find the next Swap Shop on our News and Events page, and don't forget to bring that jacket you haven't worn in 2 years to swap for something new!
Share your Fairtrade experiences
Help us understand people at UCL's perceptions of Fairtrade.