UCL Study Abroad


Passports & Visas


To study abroad, you must have a valid passport that will not be in need of renewal while you are abroad. Ideally, your passport should still have at least 6 months validity when you return to the UK. If you do need to renew your passport, please allow sufficient time to do this - it may cost more to do it last minute.


If you are home student planning to study outside of the EU, or an overseas student (Tier 4 visa holder) it is likely that you will be required to obtain a visa in order to study at your host institution. Please be aware that the responsibility of obtaining this visa will lie with you - the Study Abroad Team cannot support you with this as we are not trained visa advisors. 

Tier 4 visa holders should read through our Study Abroad Guidelines for Tier 4 Visa Holders carefully as they contain crucial information about preparing to go abroad as well as what to do if your passport and visa are lost or stolen whilst you are away. (This information will also be contained in your Study Abroad Handbook.)

Obtaining your visa

Your host institution should be able to offer you some guidance with this - please check their website in the first instance. 

Guidelines will usually be found on the government website of your host country. Below are links to the government sites for our most popular destinations:

Other documentation

In certain countries, whether or not you are an EU national, you will need to apply for a residence permit once in the country. The relevant embassy and/or your host institution should be able to advise you on the requirements - please refer to individual embassy or university websites for details of who to contact.