Register with a doctor

It is very important you are registered with a GP (general practitioner) while you study at UCL so that you can get medical care if you need it.

YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygj3CyozDYU

GP registration and COVID-19 vaccinations

Don’t forget you need to be registered with a GP before you can have a COVID-19 vaccine.

Vaccines are being given out to the elderly and most vulnerable first, so it may be some time before you’re contacted to get yours. Register with a GP now if you haven’t already to avoid any potential delays.

Ridgmount Practice service provision

Ridgmount Practice (UCL's partner GP surgery) is offering online, video and phone consultations as well as face to face appointments. Please get in contact with the surgery to discuss your consultation options before attending in person. This will help prevent possible transmission of COVID within the NHS.

Visit the Ridgmount Practice website for further information.

It is vitally important that all students register with a GP (General Practitioner - a generalist doctor) within the first few weeks of beginning your programme.

Registering as soon as you arrive will help ensure your GP can process your registration in good time, allowing you to access health care early on if needed.

Your GP should always be your first point of contact for all health concerns (physical health or mental health) throughout your time at UCL.

How to register with Ridgmount Practice

If you live in London, it is likely you will live within the catchment area for Ridgmount Practice, UCL’s partner health clinic, and should be able to register there. 

Ridgmount Practice provides general health care, a contraceptive service and a full nursing service. Your GP practice is your first point of call for most medical problems.

When you visit Ridgmount Practice please bring your UCL student ID card and your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit), if applicable. 

Start your student patient registration for Ridgmount Practice.

A letter from Ridgmount Practice

Dear Student,

Welcome to UCL, and we hope you will have an enjoyable and healthy time at UCL.

We recommend that you register with a NHS General Practice (GP) in London while you are a student at UCL within 2 weeks of arrival to make sure that you can access health care easily if you need it. 

If you’re unfamiliar with the UK health system, a GP is a generalist doctor based in a ‘surgery’ or ‘practice’, who can see patients for any physical or mental health concerns. Your GP should be your first port of call for health issues.

Ridgmount Practice is UCL’s partner GP surgery and a short walk from campus. When you move into a hall of residence or private accommodation for university, you don’t automatically get assigned to a new GP practice, so you won’t have access to most health care services until you register. 

How can I register with Ridgmount Practice?  

If you are a UCL student and live within our catchment area in central or north London you are eligible to register, you will first need to complete a registration form online.

Fill in the Ridgmount Practice online registration form here.

Once you have completed this, please come for a face-to-face consultation with a nurse or GP. Please bring your UCL student ID card and proof of address (such as a bank statement or your Statement of Student Status letter that you’ll be given at enrolment). 

What if I live outside the catchment area or chose another GP?

We recommend that you register with a GP close to where you live. Use this website from the NHS to find your closest GP surgery.


We recommend that you have the following immunisations before coming to UCL. If you have not had them, we can provide them. It is best if this happens within the first 2 weeks of term.


All first-year undergraduates (freshers) should have a Meningitis ACWY vaccination if they are under 25 and have not received it before. Other students under 25 should also have it if they have not had a meningitis immunisation before.  


This vaccine protects against measles, mumps and rubella (German measles). Before starting higher education, students should have 2 doses.

The medical details you provide are confidential.  They will not be available to departments in UCL.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any health concerns during your time at UCL.

- Dr Claire Elliott and Dr Mark Barrett

How to register with another GP surgery 

If you live outside Ridgmount Practice’s catchment area, you can search for an NHS GP surgery near you on the NHS website, and you will need to contact them to find out how to register.

Find your nearest GP practice.

International students

Additional health care information for non-UK students is available on the International Student Support website.

Babylon GP at Hand

Babylon GP at Hand is a service run with the NHS, which allows you to have video appointments with a GP on your phone. For face-to-face appointments, Babylon GP at Hand has 7 clinics in London for you to visit.

Babylon GP at Hand allows all students studying in London to use its service.

For more information about Babylon GP at Hand, please visit their website.

To see the NHS Fact Sheet on Babylon GP at Hand, please visit the NHS website.  

Please note that you cannot register at two separate GPs; therefore, you will have to choose either Babylon GP at Hand or a traditional GP like Ridgmount Practice.