Support from other organisations

As well as the services provided by Student Support and Wellbeing there are other organisations you can turn to if you need their help or advice

Support from the Students' Union UCL

The Students’ Union UCL is a democratic, student led organisation, governed by students you elect and according to policy you decide. As a UCL student, you’re automatically a member and have an equal say in everything it does.

Find out more about the Students' Union UCL

The Students' Union advice service

The service offers a free, confidential and independent advice and support service to students enrolled on a programme of study at UCL. A team of experienced caseworkers can give you advice about following: 

  • academic matters, including examination irregularities and student complaints
  • housing problems, including contract check and housemate disputes
  • empoyment issues, including unpaid wages and part time employment contracts
  • many other legal and university matters

Support from other organisations

There are specialist organisations that provide counselling and specific support for a range of mental health and wellbeing issues. Here you can find information on:

General therapy

ICOPE (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)203 317 6670 (Camden branch)
Web: icope.nhs.uk/self-referral

  • Camden and Islington Psychological Therapies Service
  • Self-referral to free confidential therapy for over 18s who are registered with a GP in Camden or Islington
  • Free individual and group sessions of CBT, mindfulness and other therapies, as well as telephone sessions  Samaritans
Nightline (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)207 631 0101
Web: nightline.org.uk

  • Free. When you need to talk to someone during the night
  • The service is open between 6pm and 8am during term time
  • You can phone, email, text or Skype them - contact details are on their website
Student Minds (Free)

Web: studentminds.org.uk/find-support.html

Student Minds run support groups so that students experiencing mental health difficulties have access to a supportive environment in which they can talk about life, university and what they are doing to keep things on track.

The Brandon Centre (Free)

26 Prince of Wales Road
London NW5 3LG
Tel: +44 (0)207 267 4792
Web: brandon-centre.org.uk

  • Free to 12-24 year olds living within Camden and 16-21 year olds in Islington
  • Their speciality is sexually related issues, but they are not confined to this
  •  Referrals and self-referrals for different types of therapy including psychotherapy and CBT
IESO Health (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)195 423 0066
Web: uk.iesohealth.com

  • IESO provides free therapy services via the internet on behalf of the NHS
  • Self-referral for free online CBT therapy to people living or registered with a GP in Camden Evening and weekend appointments available
Women and Health (Free)

4 Carol Street
London NW1 0HU
Tel: +44 (0)207 482 2786
Web: womenandhealth.org.uk

  • Free for women living in Camden
  • Short-term service offering 6 to 12 free sessions
Care First (Free)

Tel: 0800 197 4510
Find more information on the out of hours support page

  • Free telephone and online support for UCL students
  • Telephone service from Monday to Friday 5pm to 9am
  • 24 hours at weekends, bank holidays and UCL closure periods
  • Qualified Care First counsellors provide guidance on a range of issues, from things happening at home to university life
TAP (Free)

Barnes House
9-15 Camden Road
London NW1 9LQ
Tel: +44 (0)207 911 0822
web: mindincamden.org.uk/services/tap

  • Free individual and/or group sessions for over 18s who are living in and accessing a GP in Camden
  • Social space to meet others and make friends in a supportive environment
Westminster Pastoral Foundation (Low fee)

Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
23 Magdalen Street
London SE1 2EN
Tel: +44(0) 207 378 2000
Web: wpf.org.uk

  • Low fee short and longer-term individual and group therapy Monday to Saturday
  • Approaches include Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
  • The assessment fee is means-tested
  • Low cost sessions may be available on weekdays - contact WPF to find out more
British Psychotherapy Foundation (Reduced fee)

37 Mapesbury Road
London NW2 4HJ
Tel: +44 (0)208 452 9823
Web: britishpsychotherapyfoundation.org.uk

  • Psychodynamic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy
  • Range of reduced fee schemes for those on low incomes prepared to attend intensive psychotherapy or psychoanalysis
The Inner City Centre for Psychotherapy (Reduced fee)

Tel: +44 (0)20 7247 1589
Web: icclondon.org.uk

  • Locations throughout London
  • Reduced fee daytime weekly sessions
  • There is no specific time commitment in terms of therapy duration
Minster Centre (Low fee)

20 Lonsdale Road
London NW6 6RD
Tel: +44 (0)207 644 6240
Web: minstercentre.org.uk/index.asp

  • Low fee, integrative, open-ended individual psychotherapy
  • Sessions are provided by senior trainees who work under close supervision
The London Clinic of Psychoanalysis (Low fee)

112a Shirland Road
London W9 2BT
Tel: +44 (0)20 7563 5002
Web: psychoanalysis.org.uk

  • Self-referral for psychoanalysis
  • First consultation happens over two meetings
  • Following consultation sessions are 5 times a week for two years
  • Contact the clinic for low income fee assessment
Association for Group and Individual Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (Low fee)

1 Fairbridge Road
London N19 3EW
Tel: +44 (0)207 272 7013
Web: agip.org.uk

  • Low fee at the Fairbridge clinic – contact them for fees
  • They expect a commitment to stay in therapy for two years
The Bowlby Centre (Low fee)

1 Highbury Crescent
London, N5 1RN
Tel: +44 (0)207 700 5070
Web: thebowlbycentre.org.uk

  • Psychoanalytic psychotherapy attachment based therapy focussing on relationship attachment to others
  • Contact the centre for low cost therapy
Think CBT (Low fee)

Tel: +44 (0)1732 808 626
Web: thinkcbt.com/london

  • BABCP-accredited CBT therapists across London
  • Time-limited lower-cost CBT therapy for a range of problems including anxiety, depression low self-esteem and OCD
  • Confidential service with flexible evening and weekend appointments
Anxiety UK - CBT helpline (Low fee)

Tel: 08444 775 774  (Monday-Friday)
Web: anxietyuk.org.uk

  • Therapy can be face-to-face, via phone or web-cam
  • Offers CBT, hypnotherapy, and counselling
  • Annual fee scales depending on your income

Support for suicidal thoughts and self-harm

The Samaritans (Free)

Tel: 116 123
Web: samaritans.org

The Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like about whatever’s getting to you. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or they can just be there to listen. You can call the Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You don’t have to be suicidal to call.

You can also visit the Samaritans in branch to talk to a volunteer face to face if you find it easier.

Hopeline UK (Free)

tel: 0800 068 41 41
web: papyrus-uk.org/help-advice/about-hopelineuk

  • The free HOPELineUK service is imilar to the Samaritans but specifically for people under 35.
  • They will also give advice if you are worried about someone else with suicidal thoughts.
Maytree (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)20 7263 7070
Web: maytree.org.uk

TESS (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)780 047 2908 (text message only)
Web: selfinjurysupport.org.uk

  • For women in the UK affected by self-harm
  • Open Sunday to Thursday, from 7pm to 9pm via text or webchat from their webpage

Support for coping with bereavement

Camden, City, Islington, Westminster Bereavement Services (Free)

6-8 York Mews
London NW5 2UJ
Tel. +44 (0)207 284 0090
Web: bereavement-counselling.org

  • Free bereavement counselling over 18s registered with a GP in Camden or Islington
  • Bereavement counselling to people from all other boroughs is offered on a concessionary basis
CARIS - Islington Bereavement Service (Free)

The Annexe
St Mellitus Church
Tollington Park
London N4 3AG
Tel: +44 (0)207 281 5200
Web: carisislington.org

  • Free bereavement counselling for Islington residents

Support for abuse (domestic and sexual) and sexual health

Brook Euston Sexual Health and Wellbeing (Free)

92-94 Chalton Street
London NW1 1HJ
Tel. 020 7387 8700
Web: brook.org.uk

  • Free and confidential sexual health advice and counselling for people up to 25 years
  • Walk-in service, appointment not necessary
  • Other branches in London
Mortimer Market Centre (Free)

Capper Street, off Tottenham Court Road
London WC1E 6JB
Tel. +44 (0)20 3317 5252
Web: cnwl.nhs.uk/service/bloomsbury-clinicmortimer-market-centre

  • Self referral to free confidential psychological assessment and counselling related to sexual health and HIV
  • Also offer fast track sexually transmitted infection and HIV testing
Rape Crisis - North London (Free)

Tel. 0808 802 5565
10am to 4pm Wednesday to Monday
6pm to 8pm on Tuesday
Web: solacewomensaid.org

  • Free, confidential individual counselling
  • Female staff team with experience in working with sexual violence
  • For women who live, work or study in Camden, Islington, Westminster, Barnet, Enfield, Kensington & Chelsea, and Haringey
  • Service provided for Rape-Crisis by Solace Women's Aid
  • Confidence-building groups, friends and family counselling, advocacy and support service
Rape Crisis - South London (Free)

Tel: 0808 802 9999
Midday to 2:30pm and 7pm to 9:30pm 
Web: rasasc.org.uk

  • South London service provided by Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC)
  • Provides free counselling, advocacy and drop-in support
  • Women and girls only
Survivors UK (Free)

11 Sovereign Close
St Katharine’s & Wapping
London E1W 3HW
Tel. +44 (0)203 598 3898
Web: survivorsuk.org

  • Free service for all men who have experienced any kind of sexual violence
  • Individual counselling, group sessions, webchat, SMS, independent sexual violence advisor
  • Clinic 26 is a safe place for men who have been abused that also offers sexual health testing
East London Out Project (Low fee)

56/60 Grove Road
London E17 9BN
Tel: +44 (0)208 509 3898
Web: elop.org

  • LGBT individual, couple and group counselling service offered for all London residents
  • Self-referral with a low cost sliding scale
Camden Safety Net (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)20 7974 2526
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday 
Web: camden.gov.uk

  • Camden Safety Net is a service run by Camden Council, providing advocacy services and counselling for survivors of domestic and sexual violence
  • The service is open to anyone who lives, works, or studies in Camden, so UCL students should be covered
  • The service is open to people of all genders
The Havens (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)20 3299 6900
Web: thehavens.org.uk/

  • The Havens are a network of three specialist sexual assault referral centres located across London and open 24/7
  • They provide medical care, other support, and forensic examinations for people who have been sexually assaulted in the last 12 months
  • The service is open to people of all genders.

Support for the transgender community

Gendered Intelligence

Web: genderedintelligence.co.uk

  • run a series of youth groups and a mentoring scheme for transgendered people aged 13-25
TransLondon (Free)

Web: translondon.org.uk

Meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 7.30pm at Gay's The Word bookshop


56 Dean St
London W1D 6AQ
Wednesday, 5pm to 7pm
Web: cliniq.org.uk

  • Primarily a transgender sexual health clinic based in Soho, but can also offer advocacy, counselling and mentoring.
London Friend (Free)

86 Caledonian Rd
Kings Cross
London N1 9DN
Tel: +44 (0)20 7833 1674
Web: londonfriend.org.uk/get-support/social

  • Run a ‘T on Tuesdays’ social group on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month
  • 7pm to 9pm - no booking necessary
The Gold Service

10 Hammersmith Broadway
London W6 7AL
Tel: +44 (0)20 3315 9779
Web: chelwest.nhs.uk

  • Offers NHS services to the Trans community
The Beaumont Society

Tel: +44 (0)158 241 2220
Web: beaumontsociety.org.uk

  • A long established transgender support group 
  • The Beaumont Society is a national self help body run by and for the transgender community, their partners and family
Camden LGBT forum

Tel: +44 (0)20 7388 5720
Web: camdenlgbtforum.org.uk

  • Camden LGBT Forum holds a bi-monthly meeting open to all LGBT people in the London Borough of Camden
  • They offer advocacy if you are a victim of discrimination, harrassment or hate crime because you are LGB and/or T

Support for addiction (alcohol, drugs, gambling)

Integrated Camden Alcohol Services (Free)

7-8 Early Mews
Arlington Road
London NW1 7HG
Tel: +44 (0)203 227 4950
Web: icascamden.org.uk

  • Free and confidential support and counselling regarding alcohol and drug use for over 18s in Camden
  • Self-referral by drop in
  • Help with cutting down or stopping all together
  • Also open to family members and significant others
Local services in Camden and Islington

You can find out about local services by visiting the NHS website.

Drinkline (Free)

Tel: 0300 123 1110
Weekdays 9am to 8pm
Weekends 11am to 4pm

  • Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline. If you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, you can call this free helpline, in complete confidence.
NACAO (Free)

Tel: 0800 358 3456
Web: nacoa.org.uk

  • The National Association for Children of Alcoholics.
Release (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)207 324 2989
Monday to Friday 11am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm
Web: release.org.uk

  • Practical advice on drugs, what they are and harm reductionadvice as well as counselling and other support.
Re-solv (Free)

Tel: +44 (0)178 581 0762
Web: re-solv.org

  • Experts on issues related to volatile substance abuse
  • Provides support to those whose lives are affected by solvents, gases and other ‘legal’ highs
National Problem Gambling Clinic

Crowther Market
282 North End Road
London SW6 1NH
Tel: +44 (0)20 7381 7722
Web: cnwl.nhs.uk/cnwl-national-problem-gambling-clinic

  • The National Problem Gambling Clinic treats problem gamblers living in England and Wales aged 16 and over
  • The team assesses the needs of problem gamblers as well as those of their partners and family members


Relationship support

Tavistock relationships (Means-tested fee)

70 Warren Street
London W1T 5PB
Tel: +44 (0)207 380 1975
Web: tavistockrelationships.org

  • Offers couples therapy and individual sessions for relationship and sexual difficulties
  • Specialised relationship therapists address a wide range of difficulties in relationships
  • Means-tested fees depending on income