Advice and support is available to students with mobility difficulties. We encourage you to make contact with us so we can help identify services appropriate to your individual needs.
Prospective students are welcome to contact us, and in addition to the information below, may find the information on our prospective students pages useful.
A wide range of support is available to students through the disability service including:
- Pre-arranged orientation visits during the summer or at the start of term
- Access to the Digital Accessibility Hub with adapted facilities such as ergonomic seating, height-adjustable desks, adaptive pointing devices and contoured keyboards, and voice activated software
- Small equipment loans, such as a digital voice recorder
- Extended library loan facility – so that you can keep library materials for longer
- Support applying for exam arrangements – such as extra time, rest breaks, adapted or ergonomic furniture, use of an amanuensis, and use of a PC and assistive software
- Liaison with Student Accommodation about any necessary modifications to your accommodation
- Advice and guidance, for both you and your department, about the potential impact of your disability on your studies and how this can be accommodated
The information here is not applicable to EU and International Students. Please see the Funding for International Students page for further information.
To access a range of additional services, UK students will need to apply for additional funding through Disabled Students’ Allowance. Depending on your needs, these services could include:
- A full assessment of your academic support needs carried out at an accredited assessment centre
- Computer equipment and specialised software for you to own
- Support from a personal assistant – e.g., to help you get around UCL or visit the library
Please see the Disabled Students’ Allowance page for further information.
Student Funding Welfare Team
Students can contact the Student Funding Welfare Team for advice and guidance on the other forms of financial support available to disabled students:
- Library Services - Information on accessing UCL's libraries and materials, including specialist services for students with a disability.
- Therapeutic support and counselling - Therapeutic support and counselling is available for UCL students facing emotional and psychological problems.
- Ridgmount Practice - All students are advised to register with a local GP. Staff at the Ridgmount Practice are used to providing services for students and familiar with UCL systems and procedures.
- UCL Careers Service - Information on careers, internships, volunteering and current vacancies for UCL students.
- Students' Union UCL - Students' Union UCL is the representative body for all University College London students. Related sections include the Volunteering Services Unit and the Disabled Students' Network.
- Ouch! - A BBC website reflecting the lives and experiences of disabled people.
- Scope - A national network of local disability advice services run by and for disabled people.
- Disability Rights UK - A national disability organisation led by disabled people.
- Disabled Students Helpline
- University College Hospital A&E - University College Hospital’s accident and emergency department is right next to the main campus – 235 Euston Road NW1 2BU. Students in crisis outside of office hours should use this service.