Long-term health conditions

Advice and support is available to students with long-term medical conditions. A long-term condition is one that has lasted (or is very likely to last) more than one year.

Examples of long-term health conditions include: diabetes, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, cancer, HIV, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ ME), irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis or osteoporosis. If you have a long-term medical condition, even one not listed here, this may be considered a disability under the Equality Act 2010 and you may be entitled to support or adjustments.

We encourage you to make contact with us so we can help identify services appropriate to your individual needs. Students with fluctuating and/or changeable conditions are able to meet with our advisers throughout their studies to review and adapt support as required. 


A wide range of support is available to students through the disability service including:

  • Pre-arranged orientation visits during the summer or at the start of term
  • Access to the Digital Accessibility Hub with assistive technology such as large-screen PCs, text-to-speech and magnification software
  • Small equipment loans, e.g., digital voice recorders
  • Extended library loan facility – so that you can keep library materials for longer
  • Support applying for exam arrangements – such as extra time or rest breaks
  • Assistance with requesting copies of handouts or lecture presentations on advance from your department
  • Liaison with Student Accommodation about any necessary modifications to your accommodation
  • Advice and guidance, for both you and your department, about the potential impact of your disability on your studies and how this can be accommodated


International Students

The information here is not applicable to EU and International Students. Please see the Funding for International Students page for further information.

UK Students

To access a range of additional services, UK students will need to apply for additional funding through Disabled Students’ Allowance. Depending on your needs, these services could include: 

  • A full assessment of your academic support needs carried out at an accredited assessment centre
  • Computer equipment and specialised software for you to own
  • Ergonomic aids, such as chairs or book stands
  • Support from a personal assistant – e.g., to help you get around UCL or visit the library

Please see the Disabled Students’ Allowance page for further information.

Student Funding Welfare Team

Students can contact the Student Funding Welfare Team for advice and guidance on the other forms of financial support available to disabled students:

Other services at UCL 

  • Library Services  - Information on accessing UCL's libraries and materials, including specialist services for students with a disability.
  • Ridgmount Practice - All students are advised to register with a local GP. Staff at the Ridgmount Practice are used to providing services for students and familiar with UCL systems and procedures.
  • UCL Careers Service - Information on careers, internships, volunteering and current vacancies for UCL students.

External services 

  • Ouch! - A BBC website reflecting the lives and experiences of disabled people.
  • Scope - A national network of local disability advice services run by and for disabled people.
  • Action for ME - Provides information, advice and support for those with ME/CFS. 
  • University College Hospital A&E - University College Hospital’s accident and emergency department is right next to the main campus – 235 Euston Road NW1 2BU. Students in crisis outside of office hours should use this service.