Beat the virtual queues
22 July 2020
The Student Enquiries Centre have been developing its self-service options for students so that you can access the things you need quickly! Find out more here...
When you need to get something quickly, we appreciate that it can be frustrating to wait in a queue. Therefore, the Student Enquiries Centre have been developing its self-service options for students. Need a proof of student status or a statement of award letter urgently? Did you know that you can download a statement of student status, bank letter or statement of award from your Portico account in a matter of minutes?
Letter self-service is available for students from the date you enrol on your course until 2 years after you complete your programme of study. The team are going to continue developing the letters on Portico and further self-service letter options will be available soon.
Step-by-Step guide to printing statements from Portico:
- Log in to Portico with your UCL Username and Password
- On the Main Page (My Portico) under ‘Enrolment and Study Details’ you will see a tab called ‘Statement of Student Status’.
- After clicking on this tab you will be asked to select the type of Statement you require and after doing this, click ‘Next’
- If you selected ‘Confirmation of your student status’ you will see your addresses, which we ask that you keep updated. If they are no longer current, please select ‘Edit’ and make the relevant changes. If you selected ‘For a bank account’ you will see a drop-down box with names of different banks. Select the bank you would like to open an account with and click ‘Next’. This is to make sure that the confirmation letter is addressed to the bank, which is what UK banks require. You will then see your addresses, which we ask that you keep updated. If they are no longer current, please select ‘Edit’ and make the relevant changes.
- Select ‘Print Statement of Student Status’ or ‘Print Bank letter’ depending on your previous selection.
- You will see a pop-up window giving you printing options. If you are not connected to a printer, or would prefer saving the document on your device, you can select ‘Microsoft Print to PDF’ and then click ‘Print’
- Select the location where you would like to keep the file, choose a file name and click ‘Save’
You can also update your personal details on Portico. Details you can currently update are your contact details and your next of kin details. It’s really important you keep these details up to date at all times. Please do not log an enquiry on askUCL, we are not able to update your contact details for you.
Top Tip: Banks and Councils can be very particular about addresses, when updating your address make sure to include your full address, including your room number.
At the present time, our team continue to work remotely, however we can continue to assist you with your enquiries online through askUCL. Another great way to beat the virtual queues is by seeing if the answer you need is on our list of FAQs (frequently asked questions) on askUCL. We are constantly updating our FAQs and If you check under the different categories you may find the answer you’re looking for or a helpful link.
If you do log an enquiry via askUCL, make sure to choose the most relevant category setting. If it’s about your certificate, choose degree certificate and your message will be sent to the relevant team. This will help avoid you being passed between different services, which could cause a delay in response.
Our service level agreement is that we will respond to your enquiry within 5 working days. We recommend that you either contact us by either logging an enquiry in askUCL or by contacting us using either your UCL or alumni email address. If you contact us with a personal email address, we may need to ask for further identification and this could cause a delay in you getting what you need from us.