New student FAQs

On this page:

General welcome and induction information

What are the main sources of information for new students?

There are several sources of information for new students. Perhaps the most important is the New Students website. This contains useful checklists of pre and post-arrival tasks, alongside information about pre-enrolment, links to resources, and the articles on life at UCL written primarily by students.

There is also UCL Go!, which you can download to access information and events.

What should I do about vaccinations?

All students under the age of 25 who are coming onto campus should make sure they are immunised against meningitis (ACWY). If you are not, should get the vaccination, ideally several weeks before you leave for university.

If you haven’t had the vaccination by the time you arrive, you should contact your GP to get this done as soon as possible. All new students are encouraged to register with a GP in London, ideally, UCL’s partner GP surgery the Ridgmount Practice if you’re able to do so (catchment area dependent). 

Similarly, students should ensure they are vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Those who are unsure whether or not they are immune should again speak to their GP.

Can/should I register with a doctor?

Students who are registered on a programme of longer than 6 months and are living in the relevant catchment area can register with Ridgmount Practice (8 Ridgmount Street, WC1E 7AA). UCL students can start GP registration by completing the online form and then having an online consultation with a doctor or nurse.

Access the GP Ridgmount Practice registration form. 

Students who live outside of Ridgmount Practice’s catchment area can register with a different GP depending on where they will be living. 

Visit the NHS website to search for your local GP.  

How you can access healthcare in the UK depends on what type of visa you are using to study in the UK and the length of your course here. The International Student Support department has information on healthcare eligibility on its web pages.

Visit UCL’s website for information on healthcare eligibility for international students. 

Are there any other online induction modules I should complete?

To help you hit the ground running, we've created several interactive induction modules for you to complete online in your own time. We highly recommend you work through all the modules before starting your programme.
These include the Introductory Programme, the Connected Learning at UCL course, Getting Started with UCL Library Services and the Online Orientation mentioned above.

Visit UCL’s website for more information on the induction modules.

How can I make sure I’ve completed everything I need to?

Checklists are available on the New Students website to ensure students complete all the necessary steps before coming to campus and when they arrive.

Find out more information about student checklists.

What coronavirus safety measures will there be on campus?

A range of measures have been implemented to ensure the safety of all members of UCL and the public, such as a one-way system, sanitising and face coverings.

Find out more information about what measures are put in place on campus.

UCL has also now launched Connect to Protect - our new online reporting tool for staff and students to notify us if you think you may have coronavirus. 

Much more information about how to report and manage potential cases of coronavirus at UCL is available.

Can I go on a campus tour? How do I book a place?

Yes, you can book a campus tour with a Welcome Ambassador. Further information on how to book a place will be shared in the run-up to starting of term on the New Students website.

What are the Virtual Common Rooms?

Virtual Common Rooms (VCRs) are online spaces led and owned by students – similar to the environment of a ‘real’ common room – a place for you to get to know other students and socialise with them.

Much more information on the VCRs is available here.

Information for international students

How do I open a bank account?

Students should refer to the International Student Support webpages for information on how to open a bank account in the UK. Students have the option of opening an account with either a high street or digital bank and should read the term and conditions of each bank account carefully.

Some banks will require a statement of student status and/or a bank letter to let you open an account. Both of these can be seen and printed off from your Portico account.

Students must have updated their term-time address to their UK address on Portico (including the room number for students in halls) and have enrolled with UCL before they print off/download their student status and/or bank letter. 

Visit UCL’s website to access your Portico account. 

Visit UCL’s website for information on opening a bank account in the UK.

How do I register with the police?

There is no longer a requirement to register with the police when entering the UK to study and live here.

Visit UCL’s website for more information on police registrations. 

What are the international common rooms?

The international common rooms have been set up to allow you to meet new people, meet our amazing cultural societies, share ideas and passions, ask questions and build networks in the UCL's global community.

Find out more information about the international common rooms.

What are the International Student Orientation Webinars?

The International Student Orientation Webinars allow you to hear from the International Student Support team and current international UCL students talk about what life at UCL is really like. You also have the opportunity to ask questions and have them answer straight away.

Find out more information about the International Student Orientation Webinars.

What are the International Student Safety Seminars?

The in-person International Student Safety Seminars are run by International Student Support and the London Metropolitan Police for new international students in September to help keep you safe during your time at UCL and in London.

These are interactive sessions in which you'll be able to participate and ask questions.

Find out more about the International Student Safety Seminars.

What is the International Student Online Orientation Course?

The International Student Online Orientation Course has been created by International Student Support and will help you familiarise yourself with everything you need to know about life at UCL and in London. 

Find out more about the International Student Online Orientation Course.

Student immigration advice

How do I obtain a new visa to extend my stay in the UK and study at UCL?

Book an appointment with the Student Immigration Advice Team who can help you to check your application form, supporting documents and submit your application for you. 

How do I collect my BRP?

If you have selected UCL to receive your BRP, you will receive an email once it has arrived at UCL. This email will provide instructions on how to collect your BRP. If you have selected the Post Office to receive your BRP, you will need to collect your BRP from the Post Office. 

Where can I get immigration advice?

Tier 4 immigration advice is provided by the Student Immigration Advice Team. You can contact the team or join one of our virtual drop-ins for immigration advice.

Enrolment and student records

I have pre-enrolled for my programme. May I collect my ID card?

You need to be fully enrolled to collect your ID card. The email confirming your enrolment will contain the ID card collection instructions and booking link. 

What is the deadline for enrolment?

You must pre-enrol within 2 weeks of starting your programme. If you are an international student, you will only receive the pre-enrolment invite once you have received your Confirmation of Acceptance (CAS) from UCL. 

You will be able to collect your ID card when you arrive on campus.

Where and when do I collect my ID card?

You can collect your ID card on Campus. You will need to book a timeslot to collect your ID card using the booking link in your enrolment confirmation email. Once you have made a booking you will receive an email confirming your timeslot, building address and what you should bring with you to campus to collect your ID card. It is very important that you only attend at the time specified, not before or after, to help us manage the number of people on campus safely. Please note you will not be able to book an appointment or collect your ID card without completing your pre-enrolment tasks in Portico.

I have tried to pre-enrol but there is an error on my record or I have been asked to provide more information which I have been unable to do. What shall I do?

If you raised this query in the pre-enrolment task the enrolment team will respond to your query. Please note the account is very busy but we will respond as soon as we can.

A new student’s programme details are incorrect.  How can I get this corrected?

Please update your Faculty diet and module registration log in the usual way.  After new students’ enrolment has closed in mid-late October students will need to apply to change programme via C2RS.

My programme details on my record are incorrect. How can I have this corrected?

Please ask your department or faculty to send an email confirming the correct information to examboards@ucl.ac.uk

Module registration

When can I select modules?   

Students fall into three categories: 

Students who have one or more optional/elective module(s) to select.

  • Students will receive an email inviting them to select around when they receive the enrolment email. 

Students who are on programmes that consist of all compulsory modules.

  • These students are not invited to select but can view modules on Portico. They will receive an email to this effect around the time of the enrolment email. 

Students who are excluded from module registration.

  • These students do not take part in module registration and are informed of this in the email which they will receive around the time of the enrolment email.
Where can I find more information about module registration?

Check the UCL website.

In the email above students receive, all students are asked to confirm their intention of study (i.e. location) on Portico.

I don’t understand what to do on Portico to register for modules. What should I do? 

Please visit the Students website, read the FAQs and watch the videos which will take you through the process on Portico. 

I’ve submitted my module selections but want to make a change, what should I do? 

Please refer to the ‘How to Change a Module after completing Module Registration’ FAQ.

What is the deadline for module registration? 

The deadline for module registration will be published here. You are strongly encouraged to complete the process as early as possible so that it does not interfere with your registration on the modules in question.

Student fees

Will I be able to enrol without paying my fees or providing UCL with evidence of sponsorship?

Students enrolling in September will need to pay their fees or evidence of sponsorship by 31 October, you will be able to enrol before then. 

I am a self-funded full-time or part-time student. Can I pay my fees in instalments? When are my fees due for payment? How do I pay?

Self-funded students enrolling in January can pay their fees in two equal instalments. You must pay a minimum of 1/2 (of the fees for which you are personally liable) before or at enrolment. The second instalment deadline is 02 May. You can make as many payments towards each instalment as you wish (e.g. making multiple card payments) provided that the official instalment deadlines are met. You can log on to Portico and pay online. You (or someone paying for you) can also pay online.  If you want to pay direct to our bank or pay in person outside of the enrolment period, please visit the UCL website.

I am a Master’s student and have already paid a deposit. How are my instalments calculated?

The deposit payment is deducted from your first instalment. Unless you have any sponsorship, the minimum amount you need to pay by enrolment is 1/2 of your full year’s fee less the deposit amount paid.

Where can I find information online about fees?

Please visit the UCL website.

During the enrolment period, your Portico account will be updated with your fee invoice and payment transactions. Do not worry if you cannot see these transactions when you enrol. They will be updated soon. 

Do I need to provide Student Fees with evidence of my sponsorship?

It depends on the type of funding. If you are in receipt of a fee loan* (undergraduate) or any UCL studentship/award, you do not need to provide evidence - your portico account will be automatically updated with this sponsorship over the enrolment period. If you have sponsorship from an external organisation (employer, embassy) that is not recorded on Portico, you will need to provide written evidence. This should be emailed directly to Student Fees (fees.sponsor@ucl.ac.uk) with the subject matter ‘Sponsorship Evidence’ and your student number. Please note that Masters or Research students in receipt of a Student Finance England loan (approx. £10,000 pa) are classified as self-funding by UCL and evidence of your loan is not required. The loan is paid to you directly by Student Finance.

I am a sponsored student and have already supplied the Fees Office with evidence of my sponsorship or am expecting my sponsor details to be carried forward from last year. No sponsorship details appear on my Portico account. Do I need to worry?

As the enrolment period is such a busy time of year, there may be delays updating your account and so please do not worry. There may also be some delays in updating UCL or SLC awards but the majority of sponsor details will be updated on Portico by 31 October. If, at the end of October no sponsorship details show on your Portico account, please contact the Fees Office.

I am a UK/EU undergraduate and have applied for a tuition fee loan. I expect my fees to be paid by Student Finance England (SLC). Do I need to do anything?

*There is no need for you to provide us with a copy of any award letter unless we specifically ask you to do so. Details of your SLC fee funding (Tuition Fee Loan) should be sent to us electronically by the SLC over the summer and your Portico account will then be updated automatically with a sponsorship record. Confirmation of your SLC Fee Loan may take some time to update on your Portico account as we rely on SLC to send us daily confirmations of students in receipt of funding. Once your Portico account has been updated (and you have paid any part of your fees not covered by your Fee Loan) your status will change to Enrolled. This will then trigger the release of any student loan/maintenance payments to you.

Student funding

I haven’t applied for student loans yet – how do I do that?

If you are a home student you will be able to complete an application form online and manage your Student Finance account. Partners and parents can also register their details which will allow them to support any application as necessary. If you are an EU student you will need to complete a paper form.

Find out more about the application process for undergraduate loans

I haven’t received confirmation of my bursary yet – what do I do?

As long as you are eligible and have been means-tested by Student Finance, you will receive confirmation by email shortly. If you have not heard anything by mid-October, please log an enquiry on AskUCL 

Find out more about the UCL Undergraduate Bursary

When will I receive my UCL bursary?

The first payment is towards the end of October. The exact dates can be found in the bursary confirmation email sent to you in and payments will be made directly into your bank account (by the Student Loans Company).  

When will my first scholarship payment be paid?

Scholarships are normally paid directly towards your tuition fees or in three maintenance instalments into your bank account or a combination of both. Maintenance payments are usually paid within ten working days of the start of each term. Please check your original scholarship offer email for full details.

When will my first PGCE bursary payment be paid?

You can check your bursary confirmation email for the payment dates. The first payment is usually paid on 5th October. 

Find out more about training bursaries.

If you have not received confirmation of your bursary, log an Enquiry on AskUCL.

How and when will I receive my research stipend?

Payments are normally paid by bank transfer into your account. You must enter your UK bank details via Portico under the Studentship Stipend heading. Please ensure that a reference is entered; the reference is for your information only and is the wording that will appear on your bank statement when the stipend is paid in.

Stipend payments are normally made in monthly instalments, on the dates specified on your studentship confirmation email.

Why haven’t I received my stipend yet?

Did you receive a studentship confirmation email from your department? If not, they may not have processed your payments so please speak to them in the first instance

If you did receive the email and have not received your stipend by the date specified, Log an enquiry on AskUCL.

I haven’t received confirmation of my US loans / I haven’t received my first US loans maintenance refund / My Portico record doesn’t show my US Loans / Any other query about US loans.

All US loan queries to be dealt with by specialist team within Student Funding Office. Please therefore log query on AskUCL.

I am currently in financial difficulty – can you help me?

We have some schemes to help students who are facing financial difficulties and we provide advice and information to help you with your money issues.

Find out more about financial help.

Further information links

UCL Financial Assistance Fund (FAF) Emergency Loans Find out more about the funding available to UCL students Read about external funding options for students

My maintenance loan has not come through yet. I spoke to SFE and they told me my university need to confirm my registration.

You will receive the 1st instalment within 5 working days of becoming fully enrolled at the start of term. If you are not fully enrolled (e.g. Time-Limited Enrolled), then you will need to become fully enrolled first

I need some advice on a funding issue, who can I speak to?

UCL's student funding advisers can offer support, advice and guidance to students who are struggling with money management or experiencing complex funding issues.  Although face to face enquiries are temporarily suspended due to the coronavirus situation, you can instead Log an Enquiry via the above button and let us know the issue you are facing. We can then arrange for a telephone or MS Teams Appointment during working hours. 

Find out more about funding support for UCL students

Key contacts

Our preferred method of referral is via AskUCL or a call transfer to our general office number. However, our individual contact details are below should you need them:

General Office Telephone Number – x30004

Undergraduate team

Manager (Undergraduate)    Shanaz Begum58297  Shanaz.begum@ucl.ac.uk
Senior Funding OfficerJing Chang58298jing.chang@ucl.ac.uk
Senior Funding OfficerJosh du Sautoy57655j.dusautoy@ucl.ac.uk
Funding OfficerMinesh Halai57596m.halai@ucl.ac.uk
Funding OfficerFathema Begum57817fathema.begum@ucl.ac.uk

Postgraduate team

Manager (Postgraduate) Clare Hewitt  57653 c.hewitt@ucl.ac.uk
Senior Funding OfficerBen Nicholson57657b.nicholson@ucl.ac.uk
Senior Funding OfficerPhilippa Johnson57654Philippa.johnson@ucl.ac.uk
Funding OfficerKara Regan58927k.regan@ucl.ac.uk
Funding OfficerJay Manogaran57658j.manogaran@ucl.ac.uk
Funding OfficerJessica Young58657  


Advisory team

Manager (Advisory)

Liz Eden57630l.eden@ucl.ac.uk
Senior Funding Advisor Katy Foster 57973  katy.foster@ucl.ac.uk
Funding AdvisorKyle Yearwood57832  kyle.yearwood@ucl.ac.uk


When are my UCL accommodation fees due and how do I pay?

An email notification will be sent to you, via your UCL email account, to inform you that an invoice has been generated on your Portico account for your UCL accommodation fees, at the start of each term (October, January and April). The invoice will state how much you need to pay and when you need to pay it.

Payment details can be found online.

I do not like my room, and I would like to move to a different one, how do I do this?

Unless in the event of exceptional circumstances which would be considered on an individual basis, no, unfortunately you will not be able to move to another room or hall. 

I need a confirmation of address letter to open a bank account or to give to my new landlord, where do I get one?

You will need to contact the reception of your House/Hall, once you have checked in, who will be able to provide this for you. They will be able to provide a letter with proof of your address.

If you live at Beaumont Court, St Pancras Way, Stapleton House, then the UCL Accommodation Office will provide the letter for you, just contact us at accommodation@ucl.ac.uk

If you live in one of the Intercollegiate Halls, then the University of London will provide this letter, just contact them at info.halls@london.ac.uk.

I wish to end my Licence Agreement and move out of UCL accommodation, how do I do this?

For UCL accommodation you must submit a Notice to Quit Request online to notify of your intention to leave earlier. If you are holding a 39 week licence agreement, to extend your stay beyond 26 June 2021, you can apply online for Summer 2021 in Spring 2021. 

Can I join the waiting list for UCL accommodation?

Yes, you can put yourself on the waiting list for UCL accommodation waiting list. Find out more here.  

Student Enquiries Centre

How can I contact the Student Enquiries Centre? 

Students can contact us by logging an enquiry on askUCL, our online student enquiries system, to ask a question or directions to a particular service. We are currently responding to enquiries between the hours of 9am - 6pm and will aim to provide you with a response within 5-10 working days during the Welcome and Induction Period.

We also have a walk-in service available on the 1st Floor of the Student Centre and from the 19th September we will be open 10am-6pm Monday-Friday.

We also have a telephone service: +44 (0) 20 3108 8836 

Our Telephone service hours during the Welcome and Induction period will be 10am - 12pm & 2-4pm Monday- Friday.

What self-service options are there for students? 

Once enrolled at UCL, students can access Portico to print out a statement of student status and a letter to open a bank account. To see how to use self-service, please have a look at the video on the confirmation of registration and award webpage.

Students can use Portico to update their personal details including their addresses, preferred name and next of kin details.

Students can go to askUCL to access a comprehensive catalogue of FAQs which provide answers to students more common questions. 

What types of enquiries do the Student Enquiries Centre receive mostly during the Welcome and Induction period? 

Below is a list of some of the common enquiries received by the student enquiries centre during the Welcome and Induction period:

  • Letter requests (Students can go to Portico to print their own letter).
  • Requests to complete forms
  • Requests to make a change to the student record. The team can make name changes if suitable evidence is given, we can update the highest level of qualification and make changes to a student’s nationality.
  • Answer queries about pre-enrolment and re-enrolment. The Student Enquiries Centre can check the student’s enrolment record to see what a student needs to provide to complete enrolment and can check the record to see if current students are eligible to re-enrol onto their programme of study.
  • Signpost to all the different services available at UCL.
What forms can the Student Enquiries Centre sign off for a new student? 
  • Arrival forms – Erasmus and affiliate students require us to complete a form stating that they have arrived and enrolled at UCL. 
  • Railcard applications – For any enrolled student who would like a discount on their rail travel.
  • TFL forms – We can complete these forms for some students if they meet TFL’s terms and conditions.
  • DSA forms – We can complete these forms for students who want to apply for disabled student allowance
  • Funding forms – We can complete some funding forms for students, depending on what information needs to verified.  If we are unable to complete, we will refer onto the appropriate team or department to complete.
How can I print a letter from Portico?

Students can print off their own statements by logging into Portico.  If they are unable to print letters off themselves, Students can request these statements by logging into askUCL. 

A Step-by-step guide for students to printing statements from Portico:

  • Login to Portico with your UCL user ID and password on the main page ('My Portico').
  • Under 'Enrolment and Study Details', you will see a tab called 'Statement of Student Status'. After clicking on this tab you will be asked to select the type of Statement you require and after doing this, click ‘Next’
  • If you selected ‘Confirmation of your student status’ you will see your addresses, which we ask that you keep updated. If they are no longer current, please select ‘Edit’ and make the relevant changes.
  • If you selected ‘For a bank account’ you will see a drop-down box with names of different banks. Select the bank you would like to open an account with and click ‘Next’. This is to make sure that the confirmation letter is addressed to the bank, which is what UK banks require.
  • You will then see your addresses, which we ask that you keep updated. If they are no longer current, please select ‘Edit’ and make the relevant changes.
  • Select ‘Download a Statement of Student Status’ or ‘Download a Bank letter’ depending on your previous selection. Select the location where you would like to keep the file, choose a file name and click  ‘Save’

Banks and Councils can be very particular about addresses, so when updating your address make sure to include your full address, including your room number, for example:

Room or Flat NumberRoom 123A or Flat 12
Name of Residence or Building (if applicable)Residence/ Building Name
House Number and Name of Street23 City Road


What documents can the Student Enquiries Centre provide for a student?

The Student Enquiries Centre can provide the following official documents to students who have completed their enrolment:

  • Statement of Student Status - This document confirms enrolment status, mode of attendance, programme of study, programme start and end dates, contact and term-time addresses. This statement can be requested for council tax purposes and as proof of attendance at UCL.
  • Opening a bank account letter - addressed to the bank confirming enrolment and attendance at UCL.
  • Schengen 'no objection' Visa Letter - addressed to the embassy and contains exact travel dates and whether the visa is required for tourist or fieldwork. Please note that Schengen Visa letters are provided in line with FCO travel advice per country. 

Students' Union UCL

What is the Students’ Union?

The Students’ Union exists to help you make the most of your time at UCL. They can help you find volunteering opportunities, clubs, societies and networks to join, can help you develop leadership skills, help you run campaigns and make positive change here at UCL.

This term, everything the Union has to offer will be available online, with some bars and cafes open around campus. Find out more information on the Union's website.

What’s open?

The Institute Bar (at the IOE) Print Room Café (South Quad) The Hanger (shop at 25 Gordon St) Bloomsbury Fitness (gym in the Bloomsbury Building) Bloomsbury Café (café in the Bloomsbury Building) Gordon’s Café (in 25 Gordon St).  

How do I stay in touch with the Union and other students?

Each week you’ll receive a newsletter with all the most important news, events and opportunities. This will be sent to your student email account on Thursdays. You can follow the Union on Facebook and Instagram and you can join the community group for International students on Facebook.

With other facilities opening later in the term.

How do I join the Union?

All UCL students are automatically members of the Union and can take part in all the things Union offers from clubs and societies, to student democracy. Everything you need to know is explained in our Welcome video.

What are the main dates for my diary?

The Union, and its clubs and societies, are running many events during the Welcome period. The majority of these events are online, but clubs and societies will also be running some in-person activity. These events are aimed at helping you to settle in and meet new people in your first few weeks of term. You can see all of the events on the Union website.

IT support

When do students obtain or recover their user ID and password? 

A user ID is generated once a student has gone through the ATR process. They will receive an email to their registered email address to complete their pre-enrolment task, with instructions on how to obtain their user ID, register a mobile phone number and set a password on the MyAccount password self-service.

Further information can be found on the UCL website.

Students that have registered their mobile phone can reset their password whenever they need on the MyAccount password self-service.

If a student cannot recall their user ID, they can visit the MyAccount page to retrieve it.

If they are unable to recover either the user ID or password, they can contact the IT Service Desk for further assistance.

When do students receive their email alias? What if a student does not receive an email alias? How do they change the one they had received?

Students will receive their email alias within 3-5 days of their account creation. An email will be sent informing the students of their email alias.

The format for student’s email alias is as follows: forename.surname.year@ucl.ac.uk The year in the alias would represent the year that they had enrolled in.

If a student’s name is common and the standard formats of a student email alias already been taken, then the system will not provide one. The student will then receive an email to inform them and advise them to contact postmaster@ucl.ac.uk for assistance.

If a student is not happy with the email alias received or if there is a mistake, they will need to contact postmaster@ucl.ac.uk to have this amended.

In both instances, the student will need to send the email directly from their UCL account.

Useful links: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/services/email-calendar

When do students receive their Office 365 licenses?

Students will receive their Office 365 licenses shortly after their start date. This provides access to Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint and many more, to use either on a browser or to download the desktop app.

Further information can be found on the UCL website.

How to students connect to Wi-Fi on campus?

Eduroam if a free wireless service that is used throughout campus and in halls of residences. 

Find out more information about how to connect.

How can students access additional software/network resources?

Students can connect to the UCL network and access further resources through either of the following services.
Desktop@UCL Anywhere: a service that allows access to UCL resources via a remote desktop connection.

Further information can be found on the UCL website.

VPN (Virtual Private Network): The UCL Remote Access VPN Service provides a secure means of accessing private UCL corporate central services from off-site locations, such as intranet sites, network drives, connecting to app servers and many more.

Further information can be found on the UCL website.

Where can students get more information on IT services?

Students can obtain information and guides on various IT services, such as Wi-Fi, printing, file storage and many more on the UCL ISD (Information Services Division) homepage.

Students can also visit the IT Essentials page, which provides basic information and links to additional guides on key services.

Support services

What is the quickest way to speak with an adviser about disability or mental wellbeing issue? 

The Disability Mental Health and Wellbeing Team offer same-day appointments that can be booked by calling +44 (0) 20 7679 0100 or by submitting an appointment request form on the day via askUCL. Longer appointments can be booked in advance by submitting an enquiry via askUCL, the appointment request form or by calling.

Same-day appointments are available from 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm GMT Monday to Friday.

How do I register for support with a disability/medical condition/Specific Learning Difficulty?

Please telephone: 020 7679 0100 or log an Enquiry via askUCL and book an advisory appointment with a Disability / Mental health / SpLDs adviser in the Disability, Mental Health and Wellbeing team. Appointments are usually available within 7-10 days. If you need to speak to someone very soon then you can book a shorter same-day appointment.

For initial registration, we recommend booking a full appointment wherever possible, so that the adviser has sufficient time to explain all the support and facilities you can access, and discuss any specific concerns you may have about your studies.

You can speak to an adviser for general information and advice without presenting any medical evidence. However, you will need to provide us with appropriate medical evidence (such as a letter from a GP or an Educational Psychologist's report) if you wish to access additional support and adjustments for your studies.

Find out more about the medical evidence required to register.

Are Student Support and Wellbeing running drop-in sessions?

For the safety of staff and students, drop-in sessions are not available. Same-day appointments can instead be booked with an adviser quickly and easily through askUCL.

Find out more information about seeing an adviser.

What support is available to me outside of office hours?

UCL 24/7 Student Support Line is a free, confidential wellbeing support service, offered in 35+ languages including sign, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. 

You can talk to an adviser by phone on +44 (0) 808 238 0077. For in the moment support, please press 1; for legal or financial issues, please press 2; and for support with bullying, harassment and sexual misconduct, please press 3

If you are experiencing a crisis in your health or wellbeing, there are emergency services and 24/7 resources you can access.

Find out information about crisis support.

Security information

Security information

We are here to provide a safe and secure working environment for all students and staff. 

Check out our web pages for our advice on staying safe in and around the UCL Campus here and give us a follow on Instagram and Twitter @UCLSecurity for up-to-date advice and information on & off-campus.

Go ahead and pop our 24/7 Emergency Phone Number in your mobile phone NOW – 0207 679 2222 (hopefully you’ll never need it, but if you do it is there!). You can also call 222 from any UCL landline number. 

Please contact us on the emergency number if there is a requirement for Immediate Security Assistance, Police, Ambulance and Fire Brigade. We should also be contacted on 222 if there is a crime in progress, for any property damage, a lift malfunction or would like to report any suspicious behaviour.  If there is an incident happening off-campus, then call 999 if it is an emergency or 101 if it is not an emergency.

Our Non-Emergency Security number is 020 7679 2108 or you can come to the Security Office on the ground floor of Foster Court. 

ID security tips

Keep your ID/Access Card on you and never let anyone tailgate you through a secure door (this helps us keep criminals out!).

Do not lend your ID card to anyone else. The card is only for you to use. If you lose it please report to Security immediately, we can help you get a new one.


Will I be able to access library study spaces?

You will be able to access our libraries and study spaces and borrow books as soon as you collect your UCL ID card. You will be able to access electronic resources off-campus from your programme start date.

Where can I find resources for my subject?

Subject guides are available as a helpful starting point for identifying library collections and resources to support your discipline of study.

Explore is our single search tool for finding all the physical and electronic resources provided by UCL - journals, books, databases, full-text articles, archive material and much more.

UCL’s outstanding collection of electronic resources will be available 24/7 from the start date of your course.  This will include many of the essential recommended readings for your course, which will be linked to each module through the Library’s ReadingLists@UCL service.

You will also be able to access our extensive physical collections of books, journals and other materials by browsing our shelves, or by using our Click and Collect service to order books in advance for convenient collection.

Find out more about accessing electronic resources and searching Explore.


How can I get help from Library Services? 

Our Library Help webpage contains a list of useful Library FAQs that can be searched 24/7.

For any queries related to the Library, you can contact us through Library Chat or you can email library@ucl.ac.uk.

Our Getting Started guide provides an online induction to our libraries and their services.

Each subject has a specialist librarian who can provide individual support and online tutorials, to help you get the best information for your research and study. Our Subject guides will help you find the specialist librarian for your subject, and act as a helpful starting point for identifying Library collections and resources to support your discipline of study.

Your librarian may also offer subject-specific training later in the term or give a lecture as part of your course. Please visit our LibrarySkills@UCL webpage for more information.

How do I access electronic resources?

Explore is our single search tool, and can be used to find e-journals, e-books, databases, full-text articles, and archive material. Once you start searching databases, you can use the findit@UCL buttons to check for electronic full text. You will be able to access electronic resources off-campus from the start date of your course – you will be prompted to enter your UCL username and password when following links from Explore or findit@UCL. Find out more about accessing electronic resources.

How do I print/copy/scan in the libraries?

All our libraries contain Multi-Functional Devices (MFDs) that can be used to print, photocopy and scan using your UCL ID card. You receive £12 free credit in your account at the start of your first year, and this is reset to £12 at the start of each academic year.

Please see the ISD print, copy and scan webpage for more information.

How do I borrow laptops from the library?

Short-term laptop loans are available in many of our libraries from dedicated self-service cabinets. To borrow a laptop from one of our machines you need to scan the barcode on the back of your UCL ID card and enter your four-digit Library PIN. At the start of your course, your PIN is set automatically to your date of birth (Day/Day/Month/Month).