Enrolment for new students

Enrolment is the process through which you formally agree to be a student at UCL.

On this page:

What is enrolment?

Enrolment incorporates the following important steps:

  • We will verify your ID
  • We will check and record your passport and any visa you hold
  • You will confirm your acceptance of UCL’s terms and conditions
  • You will have the opportunity to pay your fees
  • You will be issued you with a student ID card and a confirmation of your enrolment
  • Once we confirm your enrolment, you can select your modules and access the library, your UCL email account and other online resources

Where and when do I enrol?

Most enrolment sessions take place at our main Bloomsbury (Gower Street) campus. 

Once you have completed pre-enrolment, you will receive an email confirming your enrolment appointment details. Our overall opening hours are detailed in the document below.

What do I need to bring with me?

All new students need to bring a valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport, the following will be accepted forms of identification: 

  • A UK photo driving licence, but only where this shows you were born in the UK (a provisional driving licence is acceptable)
  • A European National Identity Card
  • An Armed Forces Identity Card.
  • An original birth or adoption certificate with another form of photo ID

You will also need your student number, quoted on your offer letter.

I am an overseas student, what should I bring with me to enrol on my programme?

All overseas students will need bring the following in order to enrol:

  • Your passport. It is very important that you bring your passport as alternative ID will not be accepted.  
  • Your visa.  You will need to ensure that your visa has not expired, and permits you to study in the UK.

I am a Tier 4 visa holder, and I will be collecting a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). Do I need to collect my BRP before I enrol?

Yes, you will need to collect your BRP prior to enrolment.  

Further information about BRPs can be found on this page.

I am studying a programme which requires ATAS clearance. Do I need to bring my ATAS certificate?

Yes, you will need to bring your ATAS certificate in order to enrol. Please note that ATAS applies regardless of course length and immigration category.

Further information can be found on this page

I don’t have my visa with me because I have submitted a visa application from within the UK and it is still under consideration. I submitted the application by myself. Can I still enrol?

Yes, as long as you are able to provide evidence of your in-time application. You will need to bring along the following:

  • A photocopy of your passport   
  • A photocopy of your current visa

And at least one of the following:

  • A Premium Appointment confirmation, either on paper or by email
  • Your visa application form with receipt of postage from the Post Office
  • Your visa application form with a letter confirming the arrangements for your Biometric appointment

I submitted my application with the UCL Check and Send service and it is still under consideration. Can I still enrol?  

Yes, as long as you are able to provide evidence of your in-time application. You will need to bring along the following:

  • A photocopy of your passport
  • A photocopy of your current visa
  • The coversheet given to you by the UCL Check and Send Service when you had your appointment with them  

What do I do if I cannot attend my enrolment appointment?

You must try to attend your enrolment appointment. However, if you cannot attend due to work or religious commitments you may enrol at the main Bloomsbury (Gower Street) campus between 10am and 4pm. Exceptionally, we will be open on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 September from 10am to 4pm.

How do I enrol if I am a distance-learning student?

If you have received an offer confirming your status on a distance-learning programme, you will not be required to attend UCL in person during your studies.

You will have provided your information needed as part of pre-enrolment. We will review this information and confirm your enrolment status from the week beginning 17 September.

What happens next?

You'll find lots of helpful information in our checklists for new students and the Welcome to UCL app.