Online resources

On this page you can find a number of useful online resources, such as the International Students' Guide and a guide to Student Support and Wellbeing Services.

British culture

Host UK

HOST UK offers students the opportunity to visit British people in their homes for a day or weekend homestay. The invitations are offered by approved, volunteer hosts, who are interested in meeting students and learning about their culture. Hosts enjoy sharing meals and conversation and are well equipped to answer questions about the UK.

Applications are now open for HOST UK summer visits! There are also FREE fully funded placements available for students from Japan to take advantage of the unique experience of a British homestay. Placements are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and students should apply at least four weeks before they want to go on a visit. Students can apply by visiting the HOST UK website.

International Students House (ISH)

International Student House (ISH) aims to provide opportunities for international students to experience the many facets of life in the UK and to give them a deeper understanding of British society. Visit their website to explore the many opportunities they offer, including trips, social activities and theatre outings. 

GB Mag

GB Mag is a magazine especially for international students in the UK. They have a varied selection of articles and features on their website, covering a range of topics relating to studying and living in the UK.

English language support

CLIE Self-Access Centre (SAC)

UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) run a Self-Access Centre (SAC), enabling users to supplement class-based language learning with self-study, in their own time. It is available to UCL students and staff only. SAC contains a large number of books, films, documentaries, course videos and audio recordings in a wide range of languages. 

Writing & Language Support (WALS)

Students' Union UCL run the Writing & Language Support Programme (WALS) for international students studying at UCL. The aim of the programme is to assist non-native English speakers with their academic writing and speaking, to help them excel in academic life at UCL.

Student guides

International Students' Guide

A comprehensive guide for new international students, providing handy information on how to settle in to UK life and practicalities for your arrival. Please note that the International Students' Guide was correct at time of publishing in July 2018.

issuu Widget Placeholder8380285/63818870


Here to Support You: A Guide to UCL Student Support and Wellbeing Services

A go-to guide for new students for the duration of your studies. Information on the support available from UCL Student Support and Wellbeing alongside contact details should you require further support.Please note that the Here to Support You Guide was correct at time of publishing in July 2018.


Ridgmount Practice - Online Registration Form

The Ridgmount Practice, also referred to as Ridgmount Practice, is an NHS general practice located near to the UCL campus which provides general health care, a contraceptive service and a full nursing service. You can register with them if you live in one of the local postcodes which they cover, and are registered to a course that lasts longer than 6 months. If you are a UCL student, please complete the Practice's online registration form.

UCL alumni mentors

Join the alumni community

Make the most of your time at UCL by connecting with UCL alumni (graduates) all over the world and strengthening your personal and professional network. Search the UCL Alumni Community online directory for potential mentors from a pool of experienced alumni.

Whether you've just started a 3 year degree or plan to be at UCL for a year or less, you can contact your future mentor directly and build a mentoring relationship that works for you both. Once you have completed your student enrolment, sign up at the link above.

Finance and budgeting tools

Totum (NUS Extra) Card

A Totum card (previously NUS Extra card) offers a wide range of discounts on food, entertainment, fashion, technology, university essentials and much more. It also comes with a free ISIC (International Student Identity Card) for even more money off abroad.

The Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service helps you manage your money better. Use their calculators and comparison tables to make the most of your money. 


MoneySavingExpert.com is dedicated to saving you money on anything and everything by finding the good deals. It's based on detailed journalistic research and cutting edge tools to help save.

Personal safety

Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) Online Crime Reporting

You can report a crime that is not an emergency online, alternatively you can call 101. You can also contact Crimestoppers to report a crime anonymously. If the crime is happening now please call 999 immediately.

Immobilise - The UK National Property Register

Make sure you register your property for free. Immobilise helps police identify the owners of recovered property thousands of times every day. Property updates you make are immediately available to the police nationally.