A Convention de Stage is a tripartite agreement signed by the student, the home university and the host organisation that that facilitates a short-term work placement.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update for short-term mobilityIn light of the global challenge posed by the Coronavirus pandemic and subsequent UCL guidance regarding summer placements, Study Abroad regrets to announce that all short-term global mobility activities will be cancelled this summer. This includes places available through our Tuition Fee Free scheme, the Cities Partnership Programme and funding opportunities through our bursaries. We are also unable to support international internships through the Convention de Stage unless you are taking the internship in your home country or can demonstrate that you will be working remotely. Advice for staff and students who may have concerns about the outbreak of coronavirus is available on the following page.
Purpose of a Convention de Stage
Convention de Stages are typical for work placements in France, but certain organisations in other European countries may also ask students to complete a Convention de Stage or similar agreement before a placement can commence.
Study Abroad can provide a signed Convention de Stage for enrolled UCL students who will be undertaking a work placement. However, the placement must be outside of term time as not to interfere with the programme of study. If the dates are within term time, permission to undertake the placement will need to be provided by the home department.
Convention de Stage documents can be provided in French, Spanish or English.
Please note that UCL cannot provide insurance for the placement; the student will be responsible for this.
Requesting a Convention de Stage
To request a signed Convention de Stage from you must raise a query via the AskUCL System, as outlined below:
- Log in to the AskUCL system .
- Click on "New Enquiry".
- Start typing "Convention de stage" in the query category box and select it from the drop down menu.
- Fill in the details required in regards to your proposed placement and click on "Log now" in order to submit your request.
For further details please read the following guide which contains screenshots.
Note that requests sent via email or other means will no longer be accepted.
Convention de stage eligibility and policy
- Requests must be submitted at least two weeks before the start of a placement. Failure to do so may jeopardise the chances of receiving the document in advance of the placement.
- Please note that Study Abroad can only provide Convention de Stage documents for current students. Current students are those who are currently enrolled on a programme of study as per the official start and end dates which are listed on the student record. Convention de Stages cannot be issued to students who are on interruption or who have finished their programme.
- All requests must have a clear start date and end date. We cannot provide an agreement with an open start date and end date.
- Students are expected to return a scanned copy of the completed document before the end of the placement. This can be sent via the askUCL student enquiry system.
- Whether or not UCL will accept to be signatory of a Convention de Stage is entirely at the discretion of the University.
For further information regarding finding international internships, please see the UCL Careers Global Internships Programme.